Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am starting on my cabinet boxes using 3/4 oak ply.... I am doing my upper cabinets first due to funds and price of plywood....I know there are many different ways to make them so let's hear it.... I plan on cutting a dado in my sides to accept my tops and bottoms and a rabbet in the back to accept my backs.... Then pocket screws and glue to accept my face frames.... I am using my dado set on TS for the dados but I see a lot of people using their router table for cutting these.... Pros&cons of this?

·
Registered
834 Posts
To save a little bit of money and weight try 1/2 inch ply instead and it will still be plenty strong enough. Glue and pocket screws might be a little over kill so maybe just one of them. I've used either or in the past and pocket screws are much quicker to use.

Reactions: CaptainMarvel

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Ok guys I am starting on my cabinet boxes using 3/4 oak ply.... I am doing my upper cabinets first due to funds and price of plywood....I know there are many different ways to make them so let's hear it.... I plan on cutting a dado in my sides to accept my tops and bottoms and a rabbet in the back to accept my backs.... Then pocket screws and glue to accept my face frames.... I am using my dado set on TS for the dados but I see a lot of people using their router table for cutting these.... Pros&cons of this?
For the sides (ends) and back, would be rabbets, not dadoes. You could make them frameless and save the time and material of not using face frames. If you use a face frame, you can just glue and clamp them on. No pocket screws are needed.

For doing rabbets and dadoes, you might find it easier, and faster using a handheld router, and making your own jig...similar to this.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
It sure seems to me the TS is quite a bit quicker than a router for rabbets and dados, and dado sets seem to cut more wood than a router bit before needing sharpening. I was wondering about your plywood, you could use a good quality birch or maple for the boxes, maybe save some money? You would also have to treat any exposed ends, but there won't be many of them.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
with the popularity and potential of under cabinet lighting, i recess the bottom dado's 1 1/2" to hide the lights. I use the heat activated (iron) veneer tape to cover the exposed bottom plywood edge. i nailed and glued my face frames on for years, but biscuit/glue them now to eliminate nail fills on the faces. have a kreg just haven't tried it there yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts