Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guys build a base or call it a ladder to set kitchen cabinets on and others just build the cabinet with toe kick built in. Any difference or advantages to either? One better then the other?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I built my shop cabinets with the toe kick built in. I think building the base / ladder then setting boxes on top is a better way to go. Easier to get the base level.

George

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Some guys build a base or call it a ladder to set kitchen cabinets on and others just build the cabinet with toe kick built in. Any difference or advantages to either? One better then the other?
I prefer to make loose toe kicks for a few reasons. It's easier to level it than a whole cabinet. It allows more spaces to level the cabinet than just a fixed base. There's room under the toe kick, and between the toe kick and the base cabinet.

I usually make them with an exterior grade of ¾" plywood, and clad it with whatever the finished cabinets use. Not requiring a cabinet end to go to the floor, it allows crosscuts on the sheet goods to get three out of a length instead of two.

·
Registered
26,982 Posts
Most of the time I build cabinets with the toekick built on. Sometimes especially on an island I will make a seperate base so I can anchor it to the floor and then fasten the cabinet to it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts