Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just want a few expert opinions here. We moved into a bigger building last year and we noticed off the bat that the kitchen cabinets are pretty cheap. We decided to not make an issue out of it because if they're functional, then we have bigger fish to fry.

That being said, I was doing some work up in the ceilings when i noticed that there was a huge gap between the cabinets and the wall. I'd like to get some ideas here - I'm a little concerned because my amateur woodworker brain sees these things coming down on one of my employees and getting someone hurt.

Any input or advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have added to my suggestion that if the cabinets don't have a hangrail at the inside of the back at the top to make them. Solid ¾" wood or plywood about 2½" high to screw through to the studs. Screw them from the top down and at the ends of the cabinets.

So basically place 1x3s studs length from each other from the top down and screw through them, the back, and into the studs?

Curtis

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
So basically place 1x3s studs length from each other from the top down and screw through them, the back, and into the studs?

Curtis
I think this is what cabinetman is talking about. Insert a piece across the back (on the inside of the cabinet) and screw it to the cabinet from the top and both sides. That way you have some meat to drive your screws through into the studs on the wall.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That makes sense - thanks guys.

The way it was hung didn't make sense to me - using 1/4" ply to hold all that shear???

That back board makes a lot more sense.

Thanks all

Curtis

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.