Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know that CA glue is used by pen turners as a finish and is similar to a crazy glue but not quite the same thing. So, what exactly is CA glue? Somewhere I read that to extend the life of wood threads to put CA glue on them. Why is this and are there any problems in doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Wood Forum

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quickstep said:
CA stands for cyanoacrylate. At least for my chemically illiterate self, crazy glue is a cyanoacrylate glue, so they're the same thing. Putting thin CA on wood as a finish or just letting it soak in leaves a coating on the surface that's quite hard. I can see where people could feel that it would make threads less prone to wear. My only thought is that if you're not careful and you get too much buildup of the CA in the threads, your threads won't turn smoothly. Needless to say, if you put the CA on the threads and put the threaded parts together too soon, they won't be turning at all!!
I knew that CA glue is cyanoacrylate and I knew supper glue and crazy glue are similar to CA, but didn't know they were the same thing.

I also know that wood glue is a PVA glue as is Elmer's School glue and Bookbinding glue. They are all Types of PVA; however, wood (PVA) is hard, bookbinding PVA is quite rubbery, and Elmer's School glue (PVA) is somewhere in between. All are PVA glue but I would never use wood glue binding books or bookbinding PVA for strength glueing two boards together. Some people on the Internet claim that Elmer's school glue and bookbinding glue are the same thing and use Elmer's to bind books. I happen to know there is a difference and a book bound with Elmer's will not be as nice and will not last s long. I know this from experience and research that took me several months locating the answers.

I don't want to research this issue to that extent as i did for bookbinding. Therefore, I'm asking politely, though crazy glue is a type of CA glue, is it exactly the same thing as the glue marketed as CA glue that I would buy at a craft store for building models, or the CA glue I would buy at a medical supply store? And if they are exactly the same thing, then cool. If they are not, then what makes them different, like the rubbery or brittle dried outcomes of PVA?

I'm looking for specifics. Thanks for the info.

·
Cowboy up and do just it
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Dave Paine, this is great info. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts