Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I use CA glue, it's usually to fill a crack or install an inlay. This generally requires a fairly small amount and somewhat precise control of the drop size. Until recently, I bought 2 oz bottles and would use the tip do dispense the drops. That tip gets clogged pretty quickly, so I switched to just unscrewing the top and using pipettes like eyedroppers. This works well, but eventually, the threads on the cap get gunked up and it's hard to screw back on and get a good seal. Then it leaks, makes a mess and dries in the bottle.

Recently, while roaming around the dollar store, I saw packages of little tiny bottles of crazy glue. Each bottle is .14 ounces and there are two in a package. They're great. They have a really small tip for pinpoint control and since the contents are used up fairly quickly, the tip doesn't get gunked up and it doesn't have a chance to harden in the container. At $1 for just over a quarter ounce, it doesn't seem like a bad deal either.

My only concern is that by posting this, turners will start a run on dollar store CA and my source will dry up. That's why I got a near lifetime supply yesterday! :)

·
7,222 Posts
I have the 2oz bottles. I use the tip to apply the CA glue, and then wipe off the tip with a piece of paper towel wetted with acetone. Keeps the tips nice and clean.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I also use the 2 oz bottles. Just make sure what is in the tip drains out before you cap it. I just give the bottle a little squeeze to be sure the tip is clear and wipe it with a paper towel. Never had a plugged tip. I use very litte "thin". My current bottle Ive had for 6 or 8 months and the tip is in great shape! I will agree that the tip of those bottles arnt precise enough when you need a small drop in a specific spot. Seems like the "thin" will literally pour out of the bottle when tipped.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
We must have a dozen different dollar stores where I live; General, Dollar Tree, Family and so on. What was the name of the dollar store hat you purchased yours.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I've got a few spare bottle tops, and some "micro nozzles" that let me apply tiny drops.

When they clog, I put a new cap on the bottle and throw the clogged one into a jar of acetone and screw the cap back on tight.

A couple of days later, it's good as new and the crud is lying at the bottom of the jar.

·
Super Moderator
5,094 Posts
I get the 8 oz bottles through our woodturning club. We put in one big order each year and end up paying about half price. I just use a small finish nail to apply a small drop at a time. Easy enough to control when it dries on the tip of the nail, it scrapes right off.
Mike Hawkins;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Personally I don't think the stuff in the small tubes at the dollar store is the same quality as the CA found in Radio control stores or purchased from Woodturning supplies. At least the stuff I've tried to us isn't. The best thing to do is get your turning club to buy it in quantities from the CA dealers. We buy it from the club at $3.75 for a 2oz bottle. You can get it in thin, medium, and thick. You can't get the different viscosities in the small tubes.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Wow, I need a hook up like that. Im paying 12 bucks for a 2oz bottle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey guys, I buy my ca glue from www.exoticblanks.com. You can buy 16oz bottles for $28.33 but of course they sell smaller bottles too. I keep all of my ca in the refrigerator and it will last (seemingly) forever. I have 2oz. bottles that are over two years old. Just thought I'd share this info with you.

·
Registered
56 Posts
When I'm using CA I "always" tap the bottle a couple of times to clear the tip so it doesn't clog up. So far, it seems to work as I've not had any problems with clogged tips.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts