Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody tell me when I break the pen from the.bushing the ca breaks looks like air pocket. Thanks

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I still have that problem from time to time, but it got a lot better when I prepared the bushings with just a light touch of Minwax Paste Wax before starting the CA finish.

Also, when I loosen the mandrel and find the barrels stuck to the bushings, I tighten it up again and use the tip of a skew chisel to touch the dividing line (slightly towards the bushing so I don't mess the finish on the pen.)

HTH

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ca sticking and cracking

I too have this problem and find that a little paste wax on the end the pen works most of the time. Also, this problem is worse the thicker the ca finish is built up. Thinner total coats make this problem less pronounced. I have scored the line as well where the pen and bushing ,meet but it isn't a perfect solution.

Kevin
Alabama
www.mazurkapens.com

·
Registered
572 Posts
I use a razor blade to score around the tube (slightly on the bushing side) and then snap it off... If the edge is jagged I use sticky sandpaper stuck to a table and smooth the ends before assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts