Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals.
So here in the PNW walnut slabs are really expensive, and I mean expensive. Me and another friend are looking to buy a couple of slabs. His is for a dining room table and mine for a coffee table.
I was wondering if any of you might know of a reputable place that
sells nice quality slabs that also would be willing to ship.
I haven't talked with anyone yet, so I don't know if this is even feasible cost wise due to shipping costs.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Eric

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Hey guys and gals.
So here in the PNW walnut slabs are really expensive, and I mean expensive. Me and another friend are looking to buy a couple of slabs. His is for a dining room table and mine for a coffee table.
I was wondering if any of you might know of a reputable place that
sells nice quality slabs that also would be willing to ship.
I haven't talked with anyone yet, so I don't know if this is even feasible cost wise due to shipping costs.
Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Eric
Eric,

I cruise CL frequently for such items and there are several people offering walnut slabs close to your location from time to time. You could haul it in a pickup truck. That's where I'd start.

Bret

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've seen some people advertise on craigslist around here, but based on some small things i've shipped out your way, i'm thinking shipping is going to be a bear and you're probably cheaper buying where you are (unless you find someone closer to you). You could always get on fedex web site or where ever and work up an estimate for shipping costs.

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mad/4250672893.html

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes sir, I cruise CL, two catagories. I bet you can probably guess which two :yes: Anyway I seem to have little to no luck finding decent, affordable walnut around here. I did go check out this one fella's mill and his stuff was garbage. Horrible milling! That guy must have had one glass eye and a short left leg because all his slabs were 3" on one side and 1 1/2" on the other :thumbdown:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
How big of slabs do you want?

Reactions: Crusader

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
http://woodbarter.com/

Many of the guys from here are over there. Its a great place and there are lots of deals. make a thread in the introduction section and then make a thread in the want to buy section and youll get tons of pics!:thumbsup:

Edit, Mike beat me. Hes the Walnut king over at WB!!

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'm looking for something for a good sized coffee table and my friend is looking for a dining room table around 10' long book matched pieces.

Do you have a lead Mike?
I have a lot of walnut, just sold 2 slabs that would be perfect for dining table- it will be a conference table. PM me dimensions and email- I will get you pictures after christmas. I also have some really nice firgured maple coffee table slabs.

Reactions: Crusader

·
Registered
885 Posts
try wineland walnut in chico California. I have bought from them before. Also Goby walnut in Oregon. Although that can be pricey

1 - 10 of 10 Posts