Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a new cabinet table saw and just wanting some ideas. I have been looking at Luguna,Grizzley, Saw Stop. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Sawstop 100%...... No other saw has the safety factor built in. And on top of that....they're great saws anyhow. Even without the safety features, you'll have a top notch saw, but the safety gear puts it over the top. Consider this.....a minor accident will cost you thousands at the Emergency room.....the Sawstop features will cost you a few hundred.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Sawstop 100%...... No other saw has the safety factor built in. And on top of that....they're great saws anyhow. Even without the safety features, you'll have a top notch saw, but the safety gear puts it over the top. Consider this.....a minor accident will cost you thousands at the Emergency room.....the Sawstop features will cost you a few hundred.
Ryan do you have a Saw Stop and if not, why not?
I would love to have a high dollar saw myself, but a SS wouldn't be my first pick. I would love to have a Powermatic, but can't afford that one so I have a Grizzly G0690 and for the money a great saw if you ask me.
Safety is a great thing, but how is it that my father and myself who have run machinery for years, who follow safety protocol have never had a serious accident? It's because we use our heads and think before we act. That saw is not the end all be all.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I don't right now....but will hopefully soon.

There are guys all over this board that have had tablesaw accidents. Many of them that have decades of experience and know how to "use their head".....the sawstop is no different than a seat belt...I consider myself a safe driver, and don't plan on having an accident, but that doesn't stop me from being smart and buckling up...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looked at the saw stop, powermatic, and laguna. The laguna mtso 0300 180 had a 4 hp motor. I like the overall finish of the laguna, the fence and controls felt tighter than the other saws. I am curious what experience other woodworkers have had .

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
A few years ago I was looking for a major piece of shop equipment. I went to AWFS and looked. Almost all of the other manufacturer's sales people warned me about customer service from Laguna. (The Laguna product wasn't that impressive either.)

Normally in any kind of sales, you don't trash your competitions product but rather emphasize your product's attributes.

I wound up purchasing a Grizzly from the catalog. About half the price and about the same quality as the machines at AWFS.

I have used a couple of Laguna band saws. Both seem to be troublesome. I don't know the details of the troubles but I would come in and see a sign on the Laguna saying that it wasn't available for use.

As for which table saw. . . .

I think that the answer is more about your personality.
. . . YES . . .
Do you read and follow instructions?
Can you accept instructions from other people?
Do you visualize before doing a task?
Can you accept and follow instructions that you don't see the need for?
. . . NO . . .
Are you impulsive?
Do you start doing a task and then in mid stream change?
Do you think that, "I know better"?

If you honestly answered any of those questions incorrectly then buy the Saw Stop! You'll break even on your first missed ER visit co-pays.

If you answered those questions correctly and understand that being anal retentive about safety is a cool thing; the Grizzly would be a good saw for you.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Safety is a great thing, but how is it that my father and myself who have run machinery for years, who follow safety protocol have never had a serious accident? It's because we use our heads and think before we act.
Or said another way . . .

Attachments

Reactions: Toolman50

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I see no advantages with the Laguna over the Saw Stop PCS or ICS (or even a Grizzly for that matter). At one point in the not so distant past, Laguna offered a Platinum model that's the same as the Grizzly G0690, but costs more...the only advantage being dealer support if you buy it from a dealer. If you've got $3k+ to spend, there's no question that the Saw Stop offers the safest saw on the market, and their two top models are excellent saws in their own rite even without the safety brake. Grizzly offers a great bang for the buck if you're willing to forego the luxury of dealer support.

FWIW, I've also read many, many complaints about Laguna's CS.....it's very disproportionate to the number of saws they sell. Grizzly and SS both have excellent reputations for good CS.

0690.JPG

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Oliver 232, 270, or the 260....and then maybe ,possibly the 88D...with the slider..........

Wadkin PPK.......

Or the Northfeild #4 , Unisaw,,,,,everything old and built like a tank,....along with the weight.....

Do you have 3ph power,,,,,:blink:

If this is going in a basement.....disregard my entire post.....

B,

·
Registered
91 Posts
FWIW, I've also read many, many complaints about Laguna's CS.....it's very disproportionate to the number of saws they sell. Grizzly and SS both have excellent reputations for good CS.
I had a Laguna drill press that was awfully noisy. CS said it was normal, but he would send me a new belt just in case that was the problem.
It took 6 months; he said he finally had to go to an automotive shop to get me one.
I am not sure if that is lousy cs or great cs, but I know wouldn't want to need a Laguna part!

Last year I bought 3 Grizzly tools that came in with 4 defective parts. They shipped replacements very quickly. I guess that is lousy quality control, but great CS.

My SS came in perfect, but I did ask a few questions that were answered quickly.

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
If you guys would open your mind up......deal with 3ph, and some serious American machinery, (and some serious poundage....lol....) when they made things to last more than a lifetime....

You would be blown away.....

JMPOV,

B,

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Why?

1. I'd rather spend my time wood working rather than rebuilding old tools.....

2. Old saws don't have riving knifes.....or guards for many of them.....and they surely don't offer saw stop technology

3. 99% of the guys on here aren't ever going to be able to wear out a good quality modern saw in their lifetimes....

4. I don't have the space, time, or urge to deal with phase converters or 3 phase power

Why won't you open your mind and see that new modern tools fit the needs of the vast majority of people......with alot less headaches

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
So maybe you bought a crappy saw......why is it that all the guys that are quite happy with their modern saws haven't decided they were crap?

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Ryan,...

Don't take my comments so personally,,,,,,

I am an avid Owwe'r .......

You haven't tasted OWWM so you have no idea what I am talking about....

As I said,....

If you can do it,,,,with everything involved...do it!

..if you can't..then it is what it is.....

It's nothing personal....

If you look at the evolution of machinery then you may have to admit they are giving less stout machinery for some serious money.....lots of plastic ,thin walled design. Manufacturers have opted for this as a way to cut costs yet try to portray a robust piece of machinery,,,,,

Why I push OWWM,.....:blink:

Look at your rotor.........pull it out.......it's operating at 90° with a capacitor to jump start it because it's missing 30°........and it's lacking mass,,,,,,for a reason. .........single ph/3 phase.......big difference...:yes:

Single phase motors develop the rated , stamped hp.......

3ph motors are not developed in hp rating.....120° of pure synchronized power...the mass of the rotor is far superior in mass compared to a single phase motor....

Castings:.....or sheet metal in your case....they did what little they had to in order to engineer the saw,,,,,,

The trunion on my 1929 Oliver 88D is enormous ........weight- about 280lbs ...that is one aspect that I love about OWWM,......I can move that trunion with my index finger from 0- 45° ...it's absolutely incredible how well they were built,,,,engineered....

Same goes for their band saw trunions......one quick spin and your moving over 100lbs like it was 10lbs

Just an absolute pleasure to work with........

I was in your shoes,,,,been there , done that,,,,,I thought I had a great saw......but it always had things about it I hated......mostly the "cheapness" of it...........

And I only realized that by a fellow ww'er that took me to his shop.....

That was the day I realized what a machine "should" be....and I admit that.....I'm to old for pissing wars and I realize OWWM is not for everyone,,,,,,however.......

Until you actually..."physically" go and see/try OWWM....I could try, but can't ,to this day ,...ever find the words to explain my feelings about them.........

Taste my food my friend,.....,...I have tasted yours...........

Jmpov,

B,

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
I have a 1959 Dewalt Radial Arm saw.......a 1950's delta band saw that probably won't get fixed up for a long long while.....and I just sold a JD Wallace mortiser that I think was from the 40's......I've been around old machinery for years...I've had the opportunity to use early 1900's saws planners and jointers......and they're fine.

But honestly.....aside from my radial arm saw.....I prefer my modern tools. They're just as accurate, they work well, they have better dust collection, better amenities (depth stops, fences, ect), and the ergonomics are often better (switch location.....hand wheel location and design, ect).

·
Mr.20C
293 Posts
Hey,...

:thumbsup:

You say tomatoe.....I say tomato......:laughing:

It's all good....:thumbsup:

I just can't help myself Ryan....

Forgive me....

B:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts