Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the rate at which the dollar is loosing value and the problems facing our country in the near future, I'm thinking of buying some silver and gold. I'm not interested at all in buying collectable coins. I've found several websites that sell one ounce silver rounds that look like coins and are stamped with what they are as far as purity and weight. They cost about $30 per ounce (silver) with a $5 shipping charge per order. I may start buying a few per month like I do everything else I am stockpiling. If the dollar goes like it did in Russia years ago, a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills couldn't buy you a loaf of bread. Anyone have any experience investing in this kind of thing?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Never bought any raw precious metals like this, but I have had some good returns buying precious metals mutual funds. Get to enjoy the surging value of precious metals without having to find somewhere to store/secure them!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have thousands of rounds of ammo and various weapons, I still buy them when an opportunity presents itself. I also keep booze on hand, moonshine included and other trade able items. Cigarettes is the only thing I haven't stockpiled for trading. I have a generator and means for fresh clean water. I live back in the sticks and what I can't raise or grow myself I can hunt and kill. I actually had to run 2 bull elk out of my yard last night and the dogs are barking right now so I'd say they are out there right now. I like to think my family would be comfortable and safe if something happens, but there is always room for improvement. I also agree that ammo and supplies will be the currency of the future, I just want to have more options.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Sky,

Assume that you can buy gold for $2000 an ounce. In the same market price for gold, you will be lucky to sell at $1800 per ounce. It's the same principal as the prices in Kelly Blue Book for autos. (Retail and wholesale)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ideally, I'd never sell what I buy until I retire, 8345 more days away. Or it ends up being inherited by my youngins. I'm kinda looking at the long term aspect of it hoping the value keeps on going up. It's also good for getting emergency cash if something were to happen that we needed it. We are not good with keeping savings and with the things going on with banks overseas, I don't wanna trust a bank anymore because our country's debt and spending is out of control to, and their government is stealing the money from their citizens.

·
where's my table saw?
27,880 Posts
Food, ammo, water and fuel will be valuable

In my opinion.....
In the short term the above items will become good trading commodities, if the SHTF. Long term food will still win, ammo not so much cause the bad guys will either be dead or we will and how many rounds can you fire single handedly? Water of course and a means to purify it, chemical and filter, and unless you live near a fresh water source, a means for storage. Gasoline needs will diminish as it won't be safe to travel. Solid fuels, like coal or wood are going to be need for heating, at least up here where it gets cold for months at a time. Diesel fuel makes the most sense since you can heat with it or run your truck or tractor. A diesel 4X4 would be great or an ATV. :yes:

What about silver? I'm not so sure short term, but if the dollar becomes more worthless, it's probably a good bet. All we are doing is buying insurance and betting things will go South, but all indications and history say it's a sure thing. I have lots of fire extinguishers...just in case there's a fire.... same idea. All the talk about AR15's and ammo shortages have sold more guns and ammo than the manufacturers can keep up with. I think it basically backfired on the "brilliant minds" in DC. Vote 'em out.
Texas wants it's gold back and I don't blame them. There is not much not to like about Texas, or IOW, it's a great state.:thumbsup:

The "Prepper" shows on cable and the hundreds of folks on You Tube have opened the eyes of those whose heads are still in the sand..... OH, don't worry, the Government is here to help us... I don't think so. I like the Hydroponics approach for growing food and plants and raising fish all at the same time. I hope to get into that soon. Up here I would need to keep the fish from freezing to death. Me also. These are scary times brothers, and I think we are being set up to fall....... :blink:

Look here for info on buying silver in bullion:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-1-Oz-999...40945179321?pt=Bullion_US&hash=item20d0fcc2b9
The same names keep showing up, Silvertowne, Englehart, others, as trusted sources.
Buy them in person if possible, to avoid a paper trail. ;)

·
Registered
12,597 Posts
Never bought any raw precious metals like this, but I have had some good returns buying precious metals mutual funds. Get to enjoy the surging value of precious metals without having to find somewhere to store/secure them!
If I wanted to get into precious metals this is the way I would go.

Buying the actual metal has too many market risks plus being a storage problem.

It was not long ago on another forum that people were saying they were buyers of silver at $35 per once. Now those people are down almost $7 per ounce.

Plus, it looks to me that the most recent trend in the dollar is up.

George

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sky,

Assume that you can buy gold for $2000 an ounce. In the same market price for gold, you will be lucky to sell at $1800 per ounce. It's the same principal as the prices in Kelly Blue Book for autos. (Retail and wholesale)
Um, you might want to check the buy/sell spread with a local dealer before making a statement that might be taken seriously by people who don't know better. Any dealer with a 10% spread isn't going to be doing any business at all.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have enough propane on hand to last a while. I've got 5 of the 30lb tanks, one 100lb tank and I buy the small disposable 1lb appliance tanks each and every trip I make to town. Coal is our economy here and there are 3 mines withing 1 mile of my house. I still need to get a stove capable of burning it though. I do have a wood burner and a mountain covered with huge old hardwoods. I have a few hundred pounds of beans and a few hundred pounds of rice tucked away in Mylar with a 30 year shelf life. We raise chickens that are heirloom breeds (they will hatch their own eggs) and we also raise rabbits for meat. There are also plenty of stuff I can hunt for meat right behind our house. I keep salt blocks and feed out for them year round to keep them nearby and I do hunt when season is in but I don't hunt here other then sometimes we will take a kid or 2 back there for an easy kill for them. As far as water, we have our own well, we can always boil the water with either propane or a wood fire. Deisel storage does sound like a good idea for me. We have a storage tank that I'm guessing will hold about 500 to 800 gallons, all I gotta do is empty it and clean it out before refilling it. It will come in handy for our tractor. I also want to cut and clear away pasture for a few cows or goats and maybe another horse. I've been at this for a couple years now and still need more time and money....lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Um, you might want to check the buy/sell spread with a local dealer before making a statement that might be taken seriously by people who don't know better. Any dealer with a 10% spread isn't going to be doing any business at all.
Typical cost for gold and silver is market price plus a dollar or two

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Actually a quick check of those buying 14K, when adjusted for 24K, seems to be a 33% differential.

DUNNO

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
With the rate at which the dollar is loosing value and the problems facing our country in the near future, I'm thinking of buying some silver and gold. I'm not interested at all in buying collectable coins. I've found several websites that sell one ounce silver rounds that look like coins and are stamped with what they are as far as purity and weight. They cost about $30 per ounce (silver) with a $5 shipping charge per order. I may start buying a few per month like I do everything else I am stockpiling. If the dollar goes like it did in Russia years ago, a wheelbarrow full of $100 bills couldn't buy you a loaf of bread. Anyone have any experience investing in this kind of thing?
Buy guns instead. After the economy falls they will declare martial law and have us all in fema camps.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Actually a quick check of those buying 14K, when adjusted for 24K, seems to be a 33% differential.

DUNNO
Let me guess: One of those places with a big "We Buy Gold" sign outside and a clown with balloons trying to wave people inside? Maybe an Uncle Sam or Lady Liberty costume instead?

Those are not gold dealers. Those are scam artists for suckers.

I'll buy all the gold you want to sell me at 66% spot price. So would anybody still breathing. That's not "dealing" that's ripping people off.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I've got guns, I am we'll stocked in ammo to. I've also got "other" stuff for defense to.....bwahahaha

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust conssume and where thieves break in and steal,but lay up for yourselves treasures in Heaven.... For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." Matt 6:22-23

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Let me guess: One of those places with a big "We Buy Gold" sign outside and a clown with balloons trying to wave people inside? Maybe an Uncle Sam or Lady Liberty costume instead?

Those are not gold dealers. Those are scam artists for suckers.

I'll buy all the gold you want to sell me at 66% spot price. So would anybody still breathing. That's not "dealing" that's ripping people off.
Actually, it was the best price of those listed from a Google search. So your "Guess" was wrong. When I have a quantity of gold to sell I'll be sure to come to you for a price quote.

The point of the whole post is that there is a difference between buy and sell prices. And most people fail to consider the differential when starting to play in the commodities market.

I don't know about you, but I don't have the resources to trade in the volume necessary at the ask / bid pricing. Also, most people trading at the posted ask / bid pricing levels never take delivery of the commodity. The commodity markets rarely deal with commodity in hand.

Reactions: mike1950

·
Registered
909 Posts
Eh, I'm not naive enough to think I'd survive a societal collapse. I live in a suburb of a major city, so it'd be cannibalism within a year.

Now if I was a subsistence farmer out in the sticks I'd be ok, but then I'd be a subsistence farmer out in the sticks...

Might as well worry about the supervolcano under yellow stone killing us all.

·
Senior junior member
546 Posts
Does it not occur to people that in the event of a cataclysm, good people would get together and figure out how to survive, together, and those who hole themselves up with their weapons and stocks of unshared food would become pariahs? If such a thing happened, I would be dead pretty quickly with all my medical defaults, but as long as I were alive I would encourage others to share what they had and take care of strangers.

Will anyone be better off than I, when someone stronger comes and takes your stockpile, even kills you for it?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If the food supply gets cut off, one persons preps can't support the entire community for more then a week. Depending on the circumstances of the situation I may or may not open my doors. If I think it's going to be a long term thing like an economic collapse then I refuse to let my family starve so everyone around us can eat for another week. Something like Katrina where it's only going to last a week or 2 then yes I'd open up and share everything I have. If you don't have food and safety insurance for your family then you have to deal with what your dealt.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts