Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I'll be buying the Rikon 8" grinder from Woodcraft. I started turning a few weeks ago and my tools are really, really dull now. I need to make the plunge into sharpening.

My question is: What else do I need to buy?

There's Wolverine platforms, arms and variable angle jigs. Do I need these? I can get a whole "system" for $270 (bought the darn lathe for less than that!): http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2085963/45175/Woodturner's-Sharpening-Kit.aspx

I have a roughing 1" roughing gouge, a 3/8 and 1/8 spindle gouge, a bowl gouge, skew and a round nose scraper.

I've seen people online do spindle gouges with just a platform. Is this advisable for a newbie?

Any thoughts you all have on this would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
As a newbie the best thing you can have is easy repeat ability. The wolverine system with the vari grind delivers just that. You will not regret buying the system.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
When I started out, I made my own version of the Wolverine jig.

It was very cheap -- about 18" of T-bar, a couple of t-bolts, and some scrap hardwood. Pictures attached.

That's fine for a spindle roughing gouge and a spindle gouge with a "traditional" grind.

I wanted a "fingernail" grind on my bowl gouges. For that, I use a $12 jig sold by a guy at the turning club I belong to. There are many plans online for similar jigs made from wood or metal (I made one from sheet metal and threaded rod, but my bends weren't very accurate so it didn't really work right), for $12 it was easier for me to just buy one.

These 2 jigs helped me to quickly get a repeatable grind on the tools.

"Repeatable grind" means (a) you don't waste tool steel, and (b) the bevel angle remains constant so you develop "muscle memory" and it becomes easier to use the tools.

"Quickly" means that you don't wait till the tool is dull before sharpening it. A quick touch up before it feels dull makes the whole thing more fun, more safe, and more better results.

Light Floor Plastic Table Gadget

Sewing machine Table Wood Hardwood Machine

Table Room Furniture Wood Machine

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
You dont have to have the Wolverine system but I highly reccommend it. It takes all the guess work and the learning curve out of sharpening lathe tools. If you dont wanna spring for the Wolverine then there are some knock offs available for a much cheaper price. Capt. Eddie sells one on his site or you could even make your own.

Dont worry about the Vari-Gring jig just yet unless you allready have a bowl gouge. The standard system will sharpen all the rest of your tools.

Heres my setup. I absolutely love it. So simple and quick to use. I have absolutely zero excuse to ever be turning with dull tools.:thumbsup:

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f6/lathe-tool-sharpening-system-38234/

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Ditto on the Oneway system. I built a sort of copy out of wood and used that for a bunch of years but when I finally bought the Oneway system I realized how much more repeatable it was. Everything locks down really well.
I have 2 or 3 sharpening videos that will help you understand some of the secrets of sharpening.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
One of the best things you can do to improve your sharpening is to true up the stone. A smooth running stone doesn't bounce the tool and makes it 10 times easier to sharpen both free hand and with a jig.
Here's my video on that.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was just about to post a tormek bench grinder attachment mount and bar on eBay.com sells for $65.00 new at Rockler mine is brand new never used I would sell you for $40.00 if your interested let me know I will post picks and you can consider it if you want.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hawkeye1434 said:
I was just about to post a tormek bench grinder attachment mount and bar on eBay.com sells for $65.00 new at Rockler mine is brand new never used I would sell you for $40.00 if your interested let me know I will post picks and you can consider it.
I don't have the box threw it away but have everything else

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry Hawkeye, but I went out and splurged on the whole shootin' match yesterday. Got the Rikon 8" slow speed, and both oneway jigs. I'll be setting them up over the next few days.

John, thanks for the videos. They will surely help.

I'll post up later with my thoughts. And thanks to everyone that helped nudge me in the right direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts