Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used a dado but see that as a new (wanna-be) woodworker I need to start.

I have a project that requires a dado (translation: offers me an excuse to make a purchase) :smile:

I see Freud sets for just under $100 and then a Freud dado for over $250. ??!! Without a working knowledge of what it is I'm wanting to purchase, I'm not comfortable making a good decision.

Anybody reviewed them on this forum or have some simple guidelines or preferences?

Thank you very much,

Chuck Barnett

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
Hey Chuck! Well I have two different dado sets. I have a freud safety dado set and a Forrest Dado King. The Dado King is rather pricey but really nice with no wobble.
The one thing you should look for is a set that will give you a flat bottom and square sides if your dados are seen from the ends. The Dado King does leave "bat ears" but it's cut is superior. Less splintering, if any on cross cuts. Both of my sets are 8" and will cut up to 13/16" wide.
Oh and it does help to have a set of brass blade shims.

·
where's my table saw?
28,158 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
The Freud SD20x (6 or 8; the $100 one) is always considered a good value. The difference between it and the Freud SD50x (again, 6 or 8; the $200 one) is the number of teeth on the chippers (2 vs. 4) and the outerblades (12, vs. 24 I think). I've used a Freud 508 set for over 14 years. After 3 sharpenings it's still going strong. The Dado king always gets good reviews as well, but the Dadonator from Infinity Tools may be the king of the hill (6 tooth chippers). As far as I knwo, they all leave the "bat's ears) on the cut, some may be worse than other...bu the outer blades have teeth that are proud of the chippers to get a clean cut on the material. There are lot of good sets available, and buying a 6" instead of an 8" might save you some money while not sacrificing much in capacity (most dado's are shallow). Good luck with your purchase!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The basic Freud set you mentioned (SD208/DD208) is plenty good enough for the vast majority of applications. If you can pick one up cheap, go for it......but, there are two other options below or near the same price point I suggest you consider also. The first is the Avenger 6" set for $53 shipped...AFAIK, it's associated with Oshlun, and represents a whale of a bang for the buck at that price. The second option is the Delta-DeWalt 7670 for ~ $113 shipped ... it gives a taste of the SD508 and other top shelf sets for a little more than the SD208, plus it has better shim stock and a great carrying case. Irwin Marples has a set that's very similar to the SD208/DD208.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/T22622

If you're willing to spend $200, you'll be duly rewarded with amazing performance from the Infinity Dadonator....it's the cat's meow. :thumbsup:

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
interesting story. a friend loaned me his vintage craftsman single blade wobble type dado years back, as i didn't yet have one. it cut perfectly flat bottoms and sides, when i thought impossible for a wobble. unbelievable, to this day. wish i kept it (sorry bob).

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Well I had a long post describing how good the Delta/Dewalt 35-7670 set that Bassmaster and Knotscott linked to, but the webpage crashed. I will now say I own the Delta, you can't find them anymore, but I got lucky and got mine for $86 shipped. The Dewalt is the same set and good deal at $99. It is a good set. Smooth, flat bottomed dados, with hardly any tear out. I used it on many projects including the flip top tool cart.

·
Banned
6,838 Posts
+1 on the Oshlun. It makes a pretty flat bottom in the dado and is a very good value. Comes with an aluminum case which is nice.

If I remember correctly those Oshlun blades were clearanced and not being made anymore. I tried after those threads to find them and they were no where to be found.

I have the Frued SD208 I think it looks similar but with much bigger carbide then the same blade with the Diablo name.

I had the Diablo one and after a slip up and trip of my SawStop I'm the proud owner of the Frued Model. I was and am very happy with both.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Speaking of dado blades....I recently was looking to purchase one but asked myself a question I couldn't answer. What's the benefit of a dado blade versus a handheld/table mounted router?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Speaking of dado blades....I recently was looking to purchase one but asked myself a question I couldn't answer. What's the benefit of a dado blade versus a handheld/table mounted router?
There are pros and cons to each, and personal preferences involved, but I find the TS to be a larger, heftier, more powerful, and more stable format than a router. I can also dial in minute size changes in a stacked dado set.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Preference. But a dado set on a RAS is a lot more controllable/precise than a handheld router.

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
There are pros and cons to each, and personal preferences involved, but I find the TS to be a larger, heftier, more powerful, and more stable format than a router. I can also dial in minute size changes in a stacked dado set.
Plus a dado stack with shims and spacers can cut any size dado with a single pass.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts