Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys. I have a friend who is dropping a pretty good size Butternut tree. He said if i want it i can have it..saves him a trip to the stump dump..i have never turned the stuff before. So looking for some feedback. Is it fairly easy to turn? how prone to warpage and cracking? and i dont have any anchorseal...will 2-3 coats of latex paint keep my blanks from cracking before i get to them? i am planning on cutting them in half..getting the pith out and mill them down to a workable thinkness and cut them round on bandsaw...just dont want to store them and find some nice cracked circle firewood :/ any advise is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
885 Posts
If I take the time to get them all the way down to blank size I use wax to keep them from drying too fast and cracking. If I can't get to it I leave it in whole log form with sealed ends. If you use paint then yes use several coats. Its not as good as anchor seal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thank you..maybe i will only do a few blanks then...dont have money to invest in anchor seal or wax....just like the idea of a shelf full of blanks ready to go..lol.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I agree with DST. As appealing as a shelf full of round blanks is, I don't have much luck storing wood that way. I like to cut the pith out, seal the ends and store it that way. It will most likely check but at least you have the flexibility to cut away the ends.
I have found that if I stand them on end in the shade, and only seal the top end, I often get some spalting after a few months if it happens to sit that long.

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
Just cut the pieces longer than needed, when it cracks you can cut the crack out and have good wood. Butternut is some really good wood to work with, if that were me I would get all I could. Check the price online and you will see what I mean. Wood carvers like Butternut almost as much as Bass Wood.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My buddy just dropped off some massive logs.... 18" diameter and bout 21" long...now im torn...do i stay home and play or go to work...haha.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Butternut has very pretty grain. If you don't have what it takes to seal the ends, cut into workable size hunks and put them in large plastic trash bags. Open them up once a week for a few hours and then close the bag up for a few days. Continue doing that until it gets dry.

Butternut is worth keeping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts