Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made this Chalice and Paten for our priest to celebrte mass. He puts wine and water in the chalice and drinks from the chalice during mass. Also made this finger joint oak box to carry the chalice and paten. The box is oak ,the chalice butternut ( white walnut) and the paten is walnut. The finish is several coats of semi gloss poly. As I said before, don't know if this is the nicest thing I ever turned but this made me the most proud that our priest would ask me to turn this for him to celebrate mass. Mitch

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rex Bloem
Thanks Rex
When I showed father the prototype of the chalice he wanted it thicker in the middle where he holds it up, he has long fingers and a big hand and wanted something substantial to hold onto. I thought it being thicker would ruin the proportions but it seems to be ok thicker. Sometimes you worry for nothing. Thanks again. Mitch:thumbsup:

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Handyman
I used Minwax poly semi gloss. I was afraid to use this but minwax said you could use this poly as long as you let it cure for seven days I believe, I cured mine more than 30 days. All the solvents and crap dissipate and the finish becomes inert and it is safe. I found out that all finishes are food safe today if cured the required amount of time. My big concern now is what the alcohol will do to the inside finish. Will it stain or attack the poly. We shall see. Thanks again my friend, I appreciate the reply. Mitch

·
Registered
912 Posts
Mitch, looks great! Your projects are always great but I can certainly understand your personal satisfaction in this one! You should feel proud!

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts