Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why guys just wondering what the diff is between the two. I have the conditioner and am almost done with my cutting board and was wondering if just the conditioner is good enough or do I need the oil? Hoy eaglet me know what you think of it, it's my first try. There is a tiny gap on one side.

image-375273316.jpg

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Most products labeled "Butcher Block Oil" are nothing
more than mineral oil. You can buy mineral oil in most drug stores. They are totally safe is swallowed.

You didn't say what brand of "conditioner" you have. Most conditioners are a thinned varnish and mineral spirits. While they won't kill you, they can impart strange flavors to foods. They are not intended for use on food prep surfaces. They are intended to even out stain coloring on difficult to stain woods.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I made a big butcher block top for my kitchen island and found a recipe that was supposed to be "the" thing to use on butcher block. It was a mix of mineral oil and wax. Sounds like the same thing you've got in a convenient bottle. Wish I had known about it before making the concoction I made.

That's one beautiful butcher block. You're not going to let anyone use a knife on it are you?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I'm not sure if I'm going to sell or what. Probably keep it as I like it and it's the first one.im sure my gf can't wait to stick a knife in it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts