Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a mathematical brain fart! Please advise.

I need to make a 31" by 17 1/4 butcher block. Laminating boards together, I need at least 4 strips of mahogany, the rest maple. I have 3 boards, 1 of which is mahogany. ........ I need to stop typing because the iPhone won't let me see what I'm typing... To be continued.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Continued:

Each board is 4 feet long by 7.25 wide. How wide should I rip each board in order to meet 17.25" with 4 strips of mahogany?

I need to know how wide the mahogany strips would be, and for some reason I can't add it up correctly. Maybe I'm just tired...13 hour days all week long. Please advise.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Or even better, to avoid large maple strips, if I just went with one maple, one mahogany, one maple all the way across 17 1/4" how wide would each strip be?

Thsnks

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
Im confused. Assuming you want every strip of every species the same width, how many strips total are you wanting?

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
Sarge-

Unless you're putting them flat, there's an important part of the formulas missing...how thick are the boards?

Factor that in (assuming you're planning to glue with edge or end grain on top of board), and I'll bet the math gets easier.

I can't do the math without it, I don't think...or I'm having a brain fart, too!

James

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
17.25 (end result width) \ 8 (four each, dark and light) = 2.156" each?

Replace "8" with another number of boards and the results change.

That's how I'd do it...assuming you want the boards running lengthwise.

Does that work?

·
Banned
382 Posts
I have had a mathematical brain fart! Please advise.

I need to make a 31" by 17 1/4 butcher block. Laminating boards together, I need at least 4 strips of mahogany, the rest maple. I have 3 boards, 1 of which is mahogany. ........ I need to stop typing because the iPhone won't let me see what I'm typing... To be continued.
That's a total of 7 strips (4 mahogany and three maple) so 2.5" for each strip and you'll be really close (2.464 would be exact). If you want 4 mahogany and five maple, you'll have to make each strip 2" wide. Yes, it'll be 18" instead of 17.25. If you want exactly 17.25, then you'll need 1.91666".
Or even better, to avoid large maple strips, if I just went with one maple, one mahogany, one maple all the way across 17 1/4" how wide would each strip be?

Thsnks
Three strips would be 5.75" wide for each strip.

In all cases, they would need to be cut at 31" long to make the board 31" long, but you likely already knew that.

·
Woodworking Wanderer
216 Posts
Ugh...I knew I forgot something. You're limited by the board widths. Looks like you could get three strips wide per board with a little waste.

Each board yields 3 strips 2.156, a total of 9 strips 2.156 x 48" (6 Maple and 3 Mahogany)

You don't have enough Mahagony for four strips, but can do the other way around.

That's how it looks to me, anyhow. It's late...I'm trying to help..

(Edit, I see there's another answer...probably better than mine!)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1.25" divided by 7.25 wide board= 5.8 strips.

5.8 strips of 1.25" x 3 boards= 17.4"

The answer is that each board needs to ripped at 1.25 inches. The .80 would be TS blade kerf waste.

With waste it comes out to 14 strips total.

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Sarge, if you turn your iPhone vertical you can see the whole post you're writing. At least that's been my experience, that having it horizontal will hide the text for some reason.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts