Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, as many of you know, I've been starting my own business; "Hands Made For Wood" offering custom woodworks. You can see my new infomercial here! and skip me talking...lol or read and click on the link at the bottom. https://vimeo.com/79217660

Being taught by my parents as well as following their example I've learned just how important integrity is. Thus I have been striving to be a man of integrity in all my dealings. Also, not to be in any job for the money. If that ever becomes the case, my quality of work will begin to suffer because of it. In my mind there are enough Trade's guys showing up late, not communicating, charging more than their initial quote, bringing frustration to the client. I want to take note of all the things clients hate about your every day trades companies and strive to not just be another one of those guys..

That means, setting operation and conduct principals that will become the standard to my business. I also want to be as eye catching and creative as possible. Part of that has been bringing a retro and tasteful look to my new Website; www.handsmadeforwood.com and since yesterday, my new infomercial, that I finished putting together. From my experience with my clients, many don't really know where to start as far as having a custom piece built. Which makes me laugh, because all I KNOW is custom. So I put together this short video to make people comfortable with the idea as well as share with them our standards.

I am by no means, making the big bucks... but my dad always told me growing up, "Do what you love and don't worry about the money. If you do what you love the money will come." I believe he's right.

I would love for you all to check out my infomercial! it's at this link...

https://vimeo.com/79217660

·
Registered
13,302 Posts
Good morning. First let me wish you well in your business venture.

What is the purpose of that first site listed ( https://vimeo.com/79217660)? In places it is very difficult to real. White letters on a light blue background just do not offer enough contrast. Second, I am not sure just how many customers are going to be interested in a long personal background.

I like your second line. It seems professional and to the point. You tell the potential client why he/she should hire you and what you will do. There is one statement in there that I would tone down.

"
I am very competitive in my estimates, and will do whatever I can to match or beat my competitors, while offering you a higher quality product."

I would not claim to offer a higher quality product then my competitors. You cannot prove that and it will tend to make your competitors unhappy. No point in that.

George

·
where's my table saw?
29,965 Posts
my comments

Levi, we all know what a talented woodworker you are having seen the photos of your work on the family home. I honestly have not paid close enough attention to know about your other clients or projects.
However I'm certain that they of equal quality and high standards.

Having said that, if I were looking for a Woodworking Company for a specific project here's what I would want to see on a website.
I do not like "slide shows" with gobs of text I have to read. :thumbdown:

1. A short, and I mean short history of the company. How you got started, how many employees, and if you are a one man shop, don't say "we" say "I". I would like to see a recent photo of you and your "team" if there is more than one person...maybe technical advisors? I would not state my age, just show a recent photo.

2. I would like to see the shop. Is it large , clean and well equipped? Showing a project in progress and a few steps along the way.
Show any specialized machines, shapers, sliding table table saws, panel saws. etc. I want to see a large supply of lumber and sheet goods unless that's not possible for you. It just shows that you are ready to go, even though the materials will be specific to any project and need to be ordered.

3. Testimonials would be great if they were more personal, not just written statements which are so easily "faked", not that you would.:no: Any videos would add that personal touch and a "tour" of the installation would be really impressive , if the client would allow it.

4. Finally, make the whole display as clean and short as possible.
The information age has spoiled us for "instant" data, and I for one do not want to wait for the next page to turn. Keep it entertaining and informative, without being boring. Use more videos and less slide pages. Watch the size of your type on the graphics. Too large a type size "screams" at the viewer. Keep the contrast between the type and the background high enough so it's easy to read. Too many grey values is more difficult. Black and white is the standard for good reason, it works. A Graphic Designer will be able to assist you. A nearby College may have a student or instructor who can help?

Best to you in your new venture. :yes::thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
These guys have pretty much said what I thought during the video. At 3:13 though, "apart" should be two words. Not a huge deal, stuff like that just jumps out to me and I figured I'd mention it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The first picture of any project was at 2:08, you only had one slide of six past projects, and it was all done by 2:28. You should not have a single slide that does not show another project you have completed.

To reiterate what others have said, way too wordy. If I am a prospective client, I'm moving on by slide #3 (18 seconds in). The speed that people read varies greatly. Some will get bored waiting for the next slide, while others will need to pause it to finish reading.

My suggestion is to have one picture for every four written words and add a narration to your infomercial so that potential clients spend more time looking at the projects you have completed rather than reading what you want to tell them.

Regards,
Steve

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,581 Posts
Not to be too critical Levi, but honestly, you lost me at about the 1 minute mark. Way too much reading for my liking and it seems to be a slide presentation of your website. The others have given some good suggestions on how to improve the infomercial. The purpose of an infomercial is to sell a product or service by giving the viewer something to get excited about. It should immerse the viewer in everything that is happening in the video and really make them want to do business with you. IMHO, the viewer of the infomercial doesn't want to put forth any effort. They want to sit back and be sold on the product or service. Reading is way to much work for the average person watching a video to decide on a contractor. The don't want to read it, they want to be told it. (Sad I know) A shorter, more personal video may serve you better, with you speaking talking about your company and your devotion to high quality woodworking. Words are cheap, but a video of you talking about what you love to do, would go a lot further I think. Your passion would definitely show through while the words are just dead and lifeless. (The music in the video really needs some help there too buddy)
I'm with Bill as well in that, the testimonials being type written aren't really believable. Contact some customers and ask if it is possible to get a video testimonial from them for a new infomercial you are filming.
Either way, I know you'll figure it out. I, personally, would have gone and clicked on another contractors video after about 1 minute of watching yours. I'm not insulting your video, I'm just being honest. It really did lose me quickly and I'm sure that wasn't your intent.
Good luck my friend. I hope I haven't insulted you.

·
Premium Member
6,249 Posts
You lost me after a minute, most visitors will leave after 15 seconds. A simple site where the visitor feels in control would be more effective, I wanted to click on the boxes you had to get more info immediately, not wait for what comes next.

Show product first, if it is what they want then have a link to the video once you have their interest in you.

·
where's my table saw?
29,965 Posts
agreed

A "product infomercial" if seen on televison, is usually limited to 30 seconds or less. The longer ones are really short advertisements. The Swiffer ad comes to mind with Morty and his wife. The Kreg commercial is rather long. Car/auto ads are short and to the point.
They show the car...... usually. :laughing:

If your intention was to generate a website, then that's a whole 'nother discussion.

·
Premium Member
6,249 Posts
I wish I could delete a thread, because it seems I've just wasted a lot of people's time looking at a terrible video.. Sorry folks!
Don't feel that way, compared to some of the other crap that goes on here the time spent on your thread is nothing.

I would never want to discourage anybody that has a desire to go through life with high values, hang in there.

·
where's my table saw?
29,965 Posts
no way!

I wish I could delete a thread, because it seems I've just wasted a lot of people's time looking at a terrible video.. Sorry folks!
Don't feel that way, compared to some of the other crap that goes on here the time spent on your thread is nothing.

I would never want to discourage anybody that has a desire to go through life with high values, hang in there.
You've tapped into a few hundred years of expertise here and you can't expect to run before you can crawl. We all started with dreams and goals when we were starting out also. We didn't have websites..... just a portfolio with photos, a Skil saw and a tool belt.
You are very talented and hard working and have high standards...perfect qualities for an entrepreneur! :yes:
AS was suggested get some help with the website, the graphics, the photos and video and bring on back here. We will all give you our .02 cents. The best advice is to look through the various woodworking websites online and find one that really strikes you and post a link to it. You can't copy it of course but you can pick and piece from it to build your own. ;)

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,383 Posts
OH NO...you just took a giant step...don't back up now. Raise that chin back up high and brush off the dust. I'VE made the same mistakes and still editing my website.
Your going through ALL the things WE WISHED we hadn't done . LOOK at all the friends around here to give advice viewing from outside.

Your a top knotch craftsman that took me 30 years to achieve, I didn't have good advisors near/at hand, I had to wade through all the BULL and incorrect info. Our creative minds are processing so much that sometimes we blind ourselves achieving our goal. As a craftsman we sometimes get to be control freaks and don't delegate others at their best skills. You put your 200% into the infomercial...but I also got tired of reading. With your skills you can trade a nice piece of work for a professional site...NOTHING wrong with bartering!!!

My only addition in advice (I didn't see mentioned on website or infomercial) is to not be ashamed of your great faith in our Lord. I am who I am and have what I have due to Him and Him only!! Your Blessed!!

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,581 Posts
Not at all my friend. The whole purpose of this forum (which some people seem to forget sometimes) is for woodworkers to have a place to talk to other woodworkers and get advice or help on a project that they wish to undertake. Your project is a business venture and there are plenty of people willing to give their opinions and advice. I never once thought that you had wasted my time. It is my option to click on a link, a thread or a reply button and I've never felt for on instant, that clicking on your link was a waste.
I think you were hoping for a more favourable response to your video and I can fully understand that. There are times that I've made or done something that I couldn't wait to hear peoples response. The problem was, I wasn't prepared for a negative response because I was too blinded by the pride that I felt for my project. I think that this infomercial lands in that category. I can tell that you put a lot of time into it and a lot of effort and I can understand that you might be disappointed with our critique. But realize that no one here was mean or ill spirited. All the posts were constructive and everyone meant to help you, the best way they know how. Time to pick up the pieces buddy and work on a new video or go with the one you have. The choice is yours. Either way, if you do decide to go with a new video, don't hesitate to post it here to have it critiqued by your peers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts