Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in need of some burled walnut to make drawer faces out of similar to the photo I have attached.

As can be seen the pieces have been bookended together for a final length of approx. 18". Meaning, that my burled-walnut stock would have to be at least 9-10" in length.

I am making two large matching jewelry boxes and unless I find some similar stock, I may have to change direction and use non-burled walnut and hope for the best on the bookending.

The piece you see below was found locally, but that was a rare find as I now know. That slab was about 20" x 2-3" x 8" and I have never found a piece like that again.

It would be great to be able to see the stock before I purchase it, but that may not be possible making this a very iffy proposition, but I may have no other choice.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreicated.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck.
Try owl lumber.
That's where I got that piece from and they told me they have been having a difficult time getting any more in that size. The guy I spoke to say I was very lucky to have found a piece like that. I was over there about a month ago.

Someone told me there was another good lumber place downtown but he could not recall the name. I may have to try Groff or Hearne (both in PA), but that is going to be dicey.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I usually head there for this kind of wood.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Wade

I have a lot of walnut burl veneer if that would work. I might have a piece or two of solid stock.
I'll look and see. I'm in West Chicago.
Wade
Hey Wade!

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not skilled enough to use veneer. I know that doing so saves a heck of a lot of nice wood, but I'm just a wood rookie and probably always will be.

The solid stock is another story. I would definitely be interested in that.

If you can take a photo and post it that would be even better. I appreciate your help.

·
where's my table saw?
31,266 Posts
you are spelling it wrong

?????????

The question is serious.

What is burried walnut?

George

The OP said:

Burled-Walnut Source?
I'm in need of some burled walnut to make drawer faces out of similar to the photo I have attached.

And posted pictures of the burled walnut;

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Burled Wood

Burls are caused by fungus or a virus in the earth that affects the way a tree develops over the years. The resultant growth is wood grain that swirls in all directions and can be beautiful to look at but not to work, as most of us know.

Burls can also be caused by stress. Oftentimes these burls are not visible until the tree is harvested and the burled-roots esposed.

I found the following image on the web.

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
Burls can also be caused by the tree reacting to some insect damage.

I recently purchased a cherry burl, about 10 in long.

Fu ling Rock Dish Cuisine

Once you have seen a burl on a tree, you will recognise when you see others.

This has been sealed and waiting for me to decide how to mount it for turning.

The burls are highly desired for turning due to the wonderful grain patterns which can lie inside.

·
No Longer Here, BY CHOICE
2,442 Posts
I'll second woodbarter. There is a guy there that sells claro walnut burl by the pallet load. Its really nice stuff, I have some myself!! If I remember correctly, he sells it in the neighborhood of 17 to 20 bucks per pound green so its pricey but really beautiful material.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.