Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All;
I came across a burl the other day, which was large enough to make me pull over and take a few pictures. :eek:

Hard to tell what kind of tree it was, (actualy I was so impressed with the burl, I forgot to look).

I posted the pictures on my site, under the veneer index, and I believe it's on part four.

I included a picture with a car in the backround, to give you some perspective on it's size.

Is this a common size?

Lee
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
After looking at the pictures again, check out the little pine trees beside the burl. They are leaning away from it, probably scared to death of it :laughing:.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"Borrowed Pictures"

Hi Daren,
I considered posting them here, but I must admit to being a little selfish in that I had hoped to draw some attention to my site. Sooo much work in building it.:eek:
But I have no problem with it.:thumbsup:

I visited your sites, and some of the pictures you have posted, and I must say I would love to be able to slice a tree up like that, and find the treasures within, as you are able to do.
And after finding out your a bass fisherman, well need I say more!
Nice work, and nice sites as well.:yes:

Beautiful lures, it seems sad to feed em to the fish!

All the best,
Lee
[email protected]ingtips.com

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I had hoped to draw some attention to my site. Sooo much work in building it.
I have had your site bookmarked since the day you joined here. :thumbsup: I still have not gotten through all the information there, there is a ton. I was not trying to take away from your attempt to bring some more traffic, hence my offer to remove the pictures, because I understood and didn't want to step on any toes. I will suggest anyone that reads this thread visit your site for sure, it's obvious you have alot of time in building such a nice site.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A big thank you!

Hi Daren,
Well, thanks for those kind words, regarding the site. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one spending time there!

It's been kind of like a full time job for past few months, since I came up with this "bright" idea.

I hope you find the site informative and useful. It's funny how when writting the articles, I realize how many steps, and techniques, are involved in woodworking! I end up saying to myself, I didn't know I knew that. (could be I'm losing it).

Not to mention the toy's. I mean tools.

Hardly leaves any time for fishing.

Thanks again,
Lee
[email protected]

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Daren,
Well, thanks for those kind words, regarding the site. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one spending time there!

It's been kind of like a full time job for past few months, since I came up with this "bright" idea.

I hope you find the site informative and useful. It's funny how when writting the articles, I realize how many steps, and techniques, are involved in woodworking! I end up saying to myself, I didn't know I knew that. (could be I'm losing it).

Not to mention the toy's. I mean tools.

Hardly leaves any time for fishing.

Thanks again,
Lee
[email protected]
Lee,

I've been checking several of the member sites since joining the forum the other day. As a suggestion, you may want to update your signature to include your website (http://www.prowoodworkingtips.com).

P.S. You've got a lot of great info on your site...it's been bookmarked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lee,

Was this tree in NJ as you are? I take it all the leaves were gone and the sky was gray... Wait that was a song in the 60's sorry. But do you have any close-ups of the bark I went to your site and I did not see any. BTW very nice site.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bark Bark

Yes this tree is in N.J. I've passed it a hundred times, and during the summer it is hidden by ivy. I'll take another spin past there and see if I can get a few shots of the bark and the upper part of the tree. I too am curious as to what kind of tree it is.

Thank you for the compliment on the site. I hope to make it the best on the internet, and add to it almost daily.

I'll be posting some pictures of a home bar we just completed, in addition to a coffiered ceiling. The bar is Mahogany and Avodire Crotch. The bar top is onyx, with lighting between the bar cabinets and the onyx, so it will glow!

The designer I'm working with is married to a seventh generation stone carver. I work with them both, on a regular basis.

I'm Building a website for them as well, if you want to see some nice stone work. www.kgalleryanddesign.com The site is still under construction, as we have trouble getting together, time wise.

The Avodire is beautiful veneer, which I bought for my wife's dining room. Only problem is that's what all the clients are picking. Piles getting low!

We are starting a bathroom vanity, which will have Carpathian Elm Burl Raised Panels. Very Nice stuff as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Lee,

Tell your friends that the stone work is beautiful. I would never be able to work in stone. Need to be able to burn my mistakes. The site is also very nice looking.

If you can get any close-ups of the bark I'm sure somebody can get very close to the type of tree.

·
Senior Member (by age)
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stone Work

Dovetail Woods,

The guy that does the stone carving will actually go to the trouble of making sure the veins in the marble will go across a stair tread, and then up the riser, as though it were cut from a block of stone. Very talented craftsman.

Thanks for the comment on the site as well :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts