Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
That's some nice lookin' stuff JP.......

Is it still green...?????

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yep, I checked it on my moisture meter and it's hovering around 22% right now. I put a test piece through the planer and it's really nice smoothed out. There are a ton of little spots that look like minature birdseye. The black streaks were interesting. Against the red of the cherry it has nice contrast. There were 2 sets of real nice bookmatches. It was interesting to get it locked down on the mill but I figured out a way. I got about 20 nice pieces and that was only 1/2 of the burl. What a blast cutting stuff like that. It really is fun. It's funny, I showed the cut pieces to several logger friends and told them to NEVER bury burls on the landing again. They were really surprised how nice they look. If only I knew years ago, I could have tons of them by now. I've got a big spruce burl coming, I'm curious to see what that looks like inside.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sure, I was rather taken by your red box elder pics...:thumbsup:

I'm going to bring the pieces into my heated garage to let them start a slow drying. They are 5/4 thick and a woodworking buddy said they would make nice veneer pieces if they were re-ripped in half. Another idea I hadn't thought of. Give me some time to see how they behave in the drying process, I don't want to send out stuff and have you end up with problems with it. I think it should be ok.

I have a small piece that I could send you as a sample. The outer burl has little tiny "eyes" all over the place. The cool thing is that I still have the second half of that monster just waiting a date with the saw :shifty:

21 - 25 of 25 Posts