Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well we missed out on this one. This link will be dead in a few weeks, I will delete it then. An eBay auction for a 12 ton burl :eek:. (removed dead link)

$5000, no bidders. I hope these guys find a market. (personally I would have found one before I dragged the 24,000 lb monster out of the woods). I just saw it last night, right as it ended. Just imagine the table tops that baby would make. I got a couple hundred dollars burning a hole in my pocket, wonder if they would consider a "best offer" :laughing:.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would still love to know what causes "burls" and why they affect only certain trees?
Just beautiful freaks of nature. I was looking through one of my bookmarks about figured wood (I am going to add it to the "wood links" thread) and read something I had not caught before.

"Utilization of elm burls for furniture in the U.S. during the 1920's probably led to introduction of Dutch elm disease into this country. Ceratocystis ulmi (causal fungus of Dutch elm disease) probably was introduced into this country within elm-burl material imported from France for use as veneer and subsequently in furniture manufacture."

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They find some biggies in Canada. Yea, I would love to make an 8' round conference table out of a single burl slab :eek:. A chainsaw with a 72" bar and I am in business. Here are some more crazy Canadian burls I found...I mean when you have to build a shed to cover it, or you can climb on it, that there is a BIG burl.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow, can you imagine the table tops, bar tops, countertops etc to be made out of that monster?. I bet the patterns in that bad boy would be stunning!. Did they ever get a bid?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts