Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Looks great! I'm assuming there is a ladder somewhere unless your boys are high jumpers. I designed and built bunk beds for a niece and nephew when they had another sibling coming along. That was 25ish years ago or so though. They now reside with my niece and her two boys.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I knew there were going to be questions about the ladder. My boys are still young, one newborn and the other is 2. Right now the bottom bunk is the only one being used. I am going to build the ladder next. My original idea was to build stairs with drawers under them. I might still do that. I used poplar for this one. I didn't want to use expensive wood for my first project. I did manage to make it without using any hardware. It was a fun build!

·
Registered
253 Posts
NICE WORK! I really like the through mortise & tenon. :thumbsup: Don't worry about a ladder or stairs just get one of those small round trampoline's. Just kidding. good job.

Hays

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you stain the poplar with? Looks really good, especially since poplar can be difficult.
I used Minwax Bombay Mahogany. The stain I used had polyurethane in it. I put two coat of stain on it and then I did a coat of clear gloss poly to give it a little more shine. Prior to staining it I sanded it with 80, 150 and 220 grit sand paper.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Nice looking bed. You did a great job on the finish too. I really like how you did the railings. They look pretty solid.

I am a little concerned about those long tenons and little kids' heads co-habitating though. But I suppose it won't take more than one good noggin knocking to learn to be aware of their surroundings. :laughing: Or maybe they don't stick out as far as it looks. Pictures can be deceiving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice looking bed. You did a great job on the finish too. I really like how you did the railings. They look pretty solid.

I am a little concerned about those long tenons and little kids' heads co-habitating though. But I suppose it won't take more than one good noggin knocking to learn to be aware of their surroundings. :laughing: Or maybe they don't stick out as far as it looks. Pictures can be deceiving.
The tenons stick out about 3". I am a little concerned about them getting bumped into but I was afraid of going too short and weakening the joint. I will put some soft bumpers over them if it becomes a recurring issue.:smile: Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
994 Posts
One thing that'll save a serious wound will be to round off the ends of those through tenons. Looks like the top and bottom are rounded over. Just do the same to the ends. Leave no 90 degree crisp corner. Take advantage of the length, and maybe turn the square ends into a half circle. Then radius roundover all around.

4D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing that'll save a serious wound will be to round off the ends of those through tenons. Looks like the top and bottom are rounded over. Just do the same to the ends. Leave no 90 degree crisp corner. Take advantage of the length, and maybe turn the square ends into a half circle. Then radius roundover all around.

4D
That was my original plan. I got a little impatient and I just wanted to see them set up. My plan is to take the wedges out one at a time and round them off. I will put an updated picture up when I get that done.

·
Registered
367 Posts
another idea is have the boys make somethign that will hang off them. pictures or hats or something.
I really wish I wouldn't have let my wife talk me into buying instead of building our bunk beds......I could have done it for a quarter of the cost and 3x the quality.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts