Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well one of the partners from the firm I work with has an old barn. Within that old barn is a bunch of old wood. He asked if I wanted it and of course I said yes. He believes that there is some really good stuff in there cause it came from a guy running a woodworking shop many years ago. Only thing is if I take one piece I have to take it all. (not really a problem) He assumes it will take 3 trips based off of weight on my trailer which really gets me intrigued to see what he has. I am starting this post now so I can easily upload photos this weekend. My question is, I assume this wood is pretty weathered and old. Is there resources or things I need to do in order to identify the type of wood it is? Stay tuned for pics as soon as I get them!

·
7,222 Posts
My question is, I assume this wood is pretty weathered and old. Is there resources or things I need to do in order to identify the type of wood it is? Stay tuned for pics as soon as I get them!
Use a small block plane to clean off an area of the face grain for picture.

Even better if you can use a table saw to cut a small piece off the end grain, sand the end grain for pictures. End grain is a better determination of the species than face grain.

Take a guess at the species and then use Phind's excellent site to confirm. He has some of the best wood pictures I have seen.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yeah and another thing, the gentleman gifting the wood is really into his pistols. I was thinking as a thank you I can make an ammo box out of some of the wood. I saw a couple videos that shows the simple build and it explains that a wooden box as opposed to the metal boxes allows air flow and therefore will not allow rust on the ammo. Seems to make sense. So if anyone has other suggestions for a nice gift for an absolute gun fanatic I am all ears!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use a small block plane to clean off an area of the face grain for picture.

Even better if you can use a table saw to cut a small piece off the end grain, sand the end grain for pictures. End grain is a better determination of the species than face grain.

Take a guess at the species and then use Phind's excellent site to confirm. He has some of the best wood pictures I have seen.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/
Well that about sums that up lol! Thank you very much. My father in law is giving me his table saw so I will do the best option! Guess I am going to have to make him something also lol. Pictures are coming!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Oh yeah and another thing, the gentleman gifting the wood is really into his pistols. I was thinking as a thank you I can make an ammo box out of some of the wood. I saw a couple videos that shows the simple build and it explains that a wooden box as opposed to the metal boxes allows air flow and therefore will not allow rust on the ammo. Seems to make sense. So if anyone has other suggestions for a nice gift for an absolute gun fanatic I am all ears!
Pistol Grips. Plenty of into out there for making 1911 grips. If he's a fanatic, he's got at least one.

·
amateur
235 Posts
I am still waiting for someone to gift me a barn full of hardwood, so I really am not an expert in helping you figure what you are going to get yourself into. However, I have read numerous times where some guy is gifted a bunch of wood (or purchases it for a steal) only to find out that it is infested with powder post beetles, mouse/cat feces or urine, etc. You might want to familarize yourself with the various pitfalls of barn lumber.

Greg

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pistol Grips. Plenty of into out there for making 1911 grips. If he's a fanatic, he's got at least one.
Thought about this but I am going with a surprise so it maybe a bit tough. Plus I just start this hobby and that maybe well over my head. Thanks for the thought though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am still waiting for someone to gift me a barn full of hardwood, so I really am not an expert in helping you figure what you are going to get yourself into. However, I have read numerous times where some guy is gifted a bunch of wood (or purchases it for a steal) only to find out that it is infested with powder post beetles, mouse/cat feces or urine, etc. You might want to familarize yourself with the various pitfalls of barn lumber.

Greg
Thanks for the advise I will try and get as much info about those things. II can see beetles burrowing into wood may cause distruction and I can imagine breathing in cat urine may not be all that fun either but you cant hit a home run if you don't try to swing a bat for the first time. To me, many times, a bad experience is just the first step to a good experience.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I am excited for you, I purchased (won bid on, sight unseen) 816 board feet of big leaf maple that had been in sawyers barn for years. Picked it up and haven't stopped turning since. You might have to stabilize some of it. The more rotten it looks gives you some of the most exciting pieces; it may come down to turning a basic shape and then sanding it to finish so you don't just tear it up. I have done that with more than one of my bowls, the effort was definitely worth it. Good luck...ken

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the go ahead I will be bring my trailer out and should be back around 5 pm -6pm. I will cut small sections from the boards sand the ends take pictures and post. Hopefully all by tomorrow. Hopefully some one will be around to help me out on here :) thank you everyone!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok well I finally got out to the guys property on Saturday. He showed me around the place. The upstairs of the barn is full of nice boards, clean no nails just like you bought it at the store. He went through explaining what kind of wood he "thought" it was but it is ending up that he really does not know much about wood. He then showed me another area he wants cleaned out that had (according to him) oak and mohagony. Some of the stuff looked like it had really weird dove tails already routed through it. Finally he brought me to the first area he wanted me to clear out right away. He had a bunch of really really old wood all of it had nails in it. Looked as though it was probably used as base boards and trim in the house long before he lived there. I loaded up the first trailer load full and brought it home. I spent a whole day just pulling nails and invited a friend over to take a look. My friend is the son of a forester so I assumed it was a good place to start. He said he was fairly certain that the wood was Chestnut but he took 3 small samples to show his father. He seemed pretty certain that his father may want to make an offer on the wood. I would assume that I have some where in the neighbor hood of 50-75 boards averaging 6ft in length and 6 inches wide and 1/2 inch deep. What do you think something like this load is really worth? I am just trying to figure out if its worth selling or keeping to make things out of. I still have around 4 more loads I have to bring home but it will prob take all summer to get it all trailored.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts