3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting...

Opinions?

·
where's my table saw?
27,856 Posts
I've done that also

But ..... I really like the bandsaw for making tenons. The shoulders are cut with one fence setting and a stop and the cheeks with another fence setting and a stop.

This would be good, as the guy says for a few quick and dirty ones, however. Good Tip! :thumbsup:

Reactions: jharris2

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So many methods, so little time.

By the time I get home from work I's too dang tarred to run machinery and weekends I play catch up at the house.

I finally got my used band saw tuned up but I have to buy a set of blades.

When I do I'll definitely try your method.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A Bump Cutting router technique from Charles Neil.

As he demonstrated his technique for preventing tear out I thought of the possibilities for making mouldings.

To me that's the most intriguing aspect of this video.

http://www.cn-woodworking.com/bump-cuttin/

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess its working for you.

I'm definitely going to try this method.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Nowhere as easy when the wood is a hardwood.
Best done with no more than tooth-height passes. You don't want to try this with 1/2" to take off in one pass.
Not bad for one or two, but then how many times does a project need only one or two?

JMHO.

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Nowhere as easy when the wood is a hardwood.
Best done with no more than tooth-height passes. You don't want to try this with 1/2" to take off in one pass.
Not bad for one or two, but then how many times does a project need only one or two?

JMHO.
+1. :yes:

·
In The Basement
460 Posts
Why not use a dado set if it's a high cut into hardwood? I thought it was the only way of doing tenons on a table saw?

·
7,222 Posts
Why not use a dado set if it's a high cut into hardwood? I thought it was the only way of doing tenons on a table saw?
Like so many aspects of woodworking, frequently more than one way to achieve a result.

Tenons can be made by e.g.,
a) Normal blade and mitre gauge, making many passes of blade width.
b) Dado set, if you own one
c) Tenon jig or some jig to hold piece vertical on table saw then make horizontal cut on table saw with mitre gauge
d) This video using normal blade, mitre gauge and bump cuts
e) Router bit
f) Hand saw and chisel
g) Hand saw and router plane
h) Hand saw and shoulder plane

Likely other methods

Method for a given person depends on the available tools, skills and personal preference.

I have a dado set, but may use the normal blade method if not wanting to spend the time to change blades, or a router bit on the router table.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts