Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got all the stuff to make pens...mandrel...blanks...kits...ca...micromesh...go to fire up the lathe and my reeves drive belt broke...nobody around has one in stock...so have it ordered will be here tuesday...guess i do some scrollwork for awhile...haha

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
2 of my lathes use belts to the Reeve drive-- both are V belts. Used to think that I had to have "original" belts --- HA!
Once you can get the size, it's a simple matter of going to NAPA or other bigger parts store and getting a belt for lots less $$. I'm even giving Kevlar belts a try.
Hope this helps.
Dave H

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2 of my lathes use belts to the Reeve drive-- both are V belts. Used to think that I had to have "original" belts --- HA!
Once you can get the size, it's a simple matter of going to NAPA or other bigger parts store and getting a belt for lots less $$. I'm even giving Kevlar belts a try.
Hope this helps.
Dave H
Thats what i did too. The belt was mangled and the manual had no size noted...its a hf model so i wasnt about to wait for it to come in from china. So googled it and it gave me a napa belt number...went to napa and lucky me..not one of the 5 or 6 napa stores in northwest arkansas had it..so had to order it. Only had the lathe a month or so but am saddened by it being down.

Come on tuesday...haha

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Hope this helps.
Dave H
Kevlar belts?????? Sounds great......

Where can I find those?

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I hate to tell you but sometimes electronic drives break also. The Reeves drives do require more maintenance than other drives. You have to lube the sliding mechanism that makes the pulleys move and occasionally buy a new belt.
The only single speed step pulleys probably requires less maintenance than any of the other machines. The nice thing about those is you can use Link belts so you don't even have to take anything apart to change belts.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Napa got dislexic with me..ordered wrong belt so a day later than i had wanted too..the belt is installed..thankfully that was an easier install than i had anticipated....thank God for google...haha....time to turn some pens :) or try to anyway..lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.