Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to build a mudroom style bench that will be built into a nook on tile. The bench will be about 40" wide and 2" thick. It will touch walls on 3 edges and have a wall mouted support that will allow me to use 1 bench leg. I want to use at least 1 for strength and aesthetics. I want to have a curving face because on one end of the bench I only have about 12" before it's stopped by a door frame, but about 15" on the other end. (refer to drawing)

I'm thinking I will build up the thickness with MDF or quality plywood. I would veneer the top (and probably the bottom) with Walnut, but I don't know how to handle the curved face. I don't want it to be perfectly square like a formica edge, but I don't know how to handle it. Do I cut a 3 in chunk of walnut for a nose and route the edges? I could keep rattling off ideas, but I'll shut up and see what you guys suggest!:eek:

Attachments

·
7,222 Posts
I only use MDF for jigs.

You could use plywood and 3in nose as you mentioned, but may look odd.

You could rip 1/8in strips of walnut and laminate a nose. You may see the lamination.

As Phaedrus mentioned, perhaps easiest solution is to make the top out of solid walnut. Does not need to be 2in thick. 5/4 walnut should be more than adequate. 3 @ nominal 6in wide boards should work. 2 @ nominal 8in wide boards will be 14 1/2in wide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys

I didn't want to assume solid wood was the only good solution. Thanks for the feedback on the idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts