Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished up on a built-in bookcase with a buffet area in the dining room that I was working on over the past few weekends. I probably would have been done sooner but I literally had to stand around and watch paint dry. (didn't want to make any extra dust)

The wall that it is on is 150 inches long. I built it in six sections. The two end cases, the middle case then the wood top and finally the two bookcases. The top was made from dimensional red oak and the bookcases from red oak ply. The boxes were made from birch ply and face framed out in poplar. The 8 doors were made from poplar with flat panels. I went with an antique white paint to match the base and crown in our house. I have to add a few more shelves but that can wait a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can only hope to be as talented as you are one day...that is awesome looking!!
Thank you so much for the kind words. Don't underestimate your abilities or your skill level in trying to do something like this. Cabinets are nothing more than plywood boxes with a face frame on them. Start with something small like an individual cabinet for bathroom vanity or a storage cabinet in your garage. You will find a lot of good advice on this site as well. Again thank you for your kind words.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nicely done indeed. Looks good for the space. Got a few questions:

What's the finished height to the top of the crown?

What's the ceiling height in the room?

Thanks for the kind words Cabinetman. To answer your questions, the ceiling height is 10 feet with crown molding. My cabinets are 80 inches to the top of the crown. This is the same height as the doors in our house.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Very nice Steve. Are there more shelves for the side cases or are they for a tall display?

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
paintr56 said:
Very nice Steve. Are there more shelves for the side cases or are they for a tall display?

Jim
Thanks Jim. Yes there will be 2 more shelves in each case. I am in the process of cutting sawtooth shelf supports now. I have been officially side tracked to put up Xmas lights now though.

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Well done. I like how you created the jutted out parts of the top surface. It looked odd at first but, I can see how it just might have been a perfect solution once the book shelf units got put in place. It all came together really nicely. :thumbsup: Is this in your dining room or some one else's home?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts