Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I ran across this very unique folding chair design a while back and decided to build a few. I was building another one today and I went ahead and made a video out of it for fun and so people can better understand how it's assembled.

I hope you enjoy!

http://woodworkingtrip.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I used your vid and instructions on your blog to make one for myself.

I used all thread instead of the wire, with nylock nuts on the ends, and I inset the nuts so no one sitting in the chair would accidentally get snagged.
I have to say, when I was assembling this chair it looked just as screwed up as possible, the angles of the legs, the seat the back, none of it looked right. I had to go back and look at your vid several times to make sure it was going together correctly. When I had it finished sitting on top of my table I looked at and and thought there was no way it would be comfortable.
I must say I was extremely surprised at just how comfortable it actually was. Called my wife down to the shop to see and sit in it, she didn't want to at first but I talked her into it, now I have to make one for her....
Thanks alot! LOL!

Attachments

·
Half a bubble off.. {Θ¿Θ}
548 Posts
Thanks.. That's a nice looking chair. I copied the plans into my woodworking folder & will make up a few for Christmas presents.
Couple questions...
If you use threaded rod would 1/4 inch be sufficient? Galvanized?
Where the couplers & seat meet.. Do you sand a slight taper on either or both parts?? Pros & cons of doing this??
Thanx again
..Jon..

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Love the design. My daughter and son-in-law just bought a house on a lake. These are definitely going to be their Christmas presents. Perfect for the deck. I think I'll make them out of cedar though. Thanks for the vid.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Jon,
The allthread I used just says "Treated" on the tag... so I will guess that no they are not galvanized but zinc plated.
As for would the 1/4 inch hold up.... My brother is around 300 pounds and he sat in the chair for well over two hours the other day when he came over to visit.... The chair is in perfect condition.
I do suggest that you take Sailors advice and choose your 2x4s carefully... no knots if you can help it. I went to Lowes and ended up having to buy the $4 2x4s because they were the cleanest I could find. One chair requires 3 8ft 2x4s and if you use allthread, 3 3foot lengths with locking nuts, and washers inside if the nuts to keep the nuts from digging into the wood. I did put fender washers in the areas that hinge, and I think it helps the wood from squeaking and helps pivot smoothly. You do not need them in the ends.
Next one I make I will lay it out so the top of the back is rounded to look a little better, and add a handle to the bottom of the seat part to make carrying easier when folded.
Also, I did not sand mine down and it has the manufactured ink stamps all over the place.... Next one will be sanded before I rip them down. Nice couple of coats of Spar Urethane to weather protect it and done...

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
A_Sailor said:
I ran across this very unique folding chair design a while back and decided to build a few. I was building another one today and I went ahead and made a video out of it for fun and so people can better understand how it's assembled.

I hope you enjoy!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJBtom1FiM4

I having trouble hearing your blog address on the video. Can you post where to get the size of pieces and hole locations?
Thanks in advance.
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
great project

I used your plan, with a couple of differences. I wanted a bit thinner sticks so, I used 5/4" decking and ripped it to 1-1/2", then routered the edge. I used 9 instead of 8 pieces for the back to make up for the difference in width. I used 1/4" stainless rod with stainless washers and acorn nuts. I'm very happy with the finished product. Thanks again for the plans and video.

A very comfortable, stylish and strong chair.

Attachments

·
bzguy
581 Posts
I met a guy on this forum making these in Michigan.
He wound up coming to vacation and chat here in Belize, where this design originated.
They were "invented" years ago by a guy I had the pleasure of knowing, Ceasar Sherrard.
They are locally known as the "Clam chair", and they use cable, not threaded rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
building the folding stick chair

Do you think that a "wire vise", available at orchard supply stores would work to secure the wire/cable at the 4 ends? The first time we saw these chairs in Belize there was nothing protruding just 4 wood plugs visible. Looking forward to using these chairs on our dock once the ice goes!!

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
One additional thing I do on my builds of these chairs is to round over the front edge of the seat and the top of the back. I do this on the router table prior to assembling the chairs.
Tom

·
Registered
1 Posts

I hope you enjoy!

How to make the Folding Stick Chair - Easy Project - YouTube
http://woodworkingtrip.blogspot.com/

Love your chair and want to know what you think about making it out of a synthetic wood product so that they can be left outside.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I like using sustainable products and not contributing to landfills. That's just my opinion and preference.
Using cedar and tung oil, or more expensive exotics and oiling should give you lot longer lasting chair.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts