Woodworking Talk banner
141 - 160 of 163 Posts
Discussion starter · #141 ·
Building now, GOOGLE locomotive.

Here is the 1" solid copper round bar that I will turn on my wood lathe into a BULLET approx. 1-1/2" long plus a 1" long shank to slip into my copper tubing.

I have to anneal the copper, then go at it. A 12" piece of copper weighs nearly 4-pounds, and cost $39.00 on line.

Dale in Indy

Now to shower after a day of cleaning my shop, then WATCH THE COLTS.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #143 ·

Here are the TRACKS in position to me SPIKED to the TIES with my custom square copper tacks.

I also now have the copper round bar mounted on the lathe, but other things prevented me from turning into a BULLET today.

OH, WoodFunning is soooooooo much FUN!

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #144 ·

Busy day, OTHER STUFF, but found an hour to build the track stop.

1st. Pic is stop under construction.

2nd. Just a shot on my card table, often set it up in TV room so as to visit with bride as I have FUN.

3rd. Is stop completed.

Walnut, and electric copper wire to make a FAKE rebound spring. YES I KNOW IT ISN'T A WORKING STOP.......hehe.

Have a check list, and hoping to be all wrapped up in a week.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #145 ·

I haven't been a TRAIN LOVER, didn't dislike either, just have had OTHER interests.

But this build has allowed me to research, and it's a wonderful journey.

Trestles always perked my interest as a kid, LONG LONG time ago, soon to be 80, well in 2 years. I was raised in Bloomington, Il, a couple blocks from one of the steepest RR tracks in the area, as a kid when STEAM ENGINES were still running, often a fully loaded train couldn't make it up the hill. I heard it often, the engine came to a halt, and a blast of steam could be heard, and rushed out. NEAT THING TO SEE. The train would back up several miles and get a better running start, such normally meant they MADE IT.

Trestles almost always had an ESCAPE platform, normally about mid way of the trestle length. So if you were crossing the Trestle, and a train rounded the bend, well you need run only HALF the way to be safe.

Tonight I am adding one to my Trestle, simple build, but fun and such has lots of history.

This is my inspiration for such.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #147 ·

Here is my walnut Trestle ESCAPE PLATFORM. It's approx. 2-3/4" X 3-1/4".

I isn't in place correctly in the picture, it will be pulled out approx. 3/4" from tracks.

You can see that the rear rail stop now has the spring ahead of the dowel, and has a shinny copper penny as the bumper/pad.

Tomorrow Friday is my day to turn the copper 7/8" BULLET HEAD.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #148 ·

Since this is MY thread, I want to inject this question:

Have any of you purchased or own a MINI TABLE SAW, like the Microlux #85870? Sells for $29.95 on-line.

Working at times with very small pieces it seems it would be handy. Small blade, ZERO distance between blade and table would be nice.

The Microlux is recommended for cutting up to 1/2" thick material, so wonder if any of you have such a saw?

Thanks, OH, and IF you have a mini saw, what brand is it?

Dale in Indy

Discussion starter · #149 ·

While I still THINK copper is what's best for the long trim piece, today I turned a piece of walnut into a BULLET to see how such would look compared to the copper.

Here is the walnut piece, and the jig I used to slice.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #152 ·

Today I made the smoke stacks out of sheet copper.

In the 2nd. picture you have to look close to see the stacks.

I will consider darkening such a bit, and painting a sooty gray inside.

The side trim on now is without the copper bullet head I am turning, getting close to finishing that.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #153 · (Edited)

Last night I made my sheet copper smoke stacks.

The front one is longer, and taller.

They are soldered on the inside tail. Used my mapp gas torch.

I will treat with a chemical to darken, and paint inside a sooty gray.

I will probably hold in place with double stick thin tape, I still have and will keep the ones I made out of walnut, may use them at times too.

Getting very close to wrapping this build up.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #154 · (Edited)

Continuing today with small details:

*Glued in place the 'G' curl above the rear wheel.

*Bullet tip is not the one I am working on, it will be solid copper.

*Sanded the headlight hole larger, light will be pushed in fluss with front. It will have a O-ring glued on the rim to serve as a bezel, and give me something to grab hold of when pulling out to change batteries. The Harbor Freight light is a tad larger than 1", so had to sand a bit. Note: I matched up the grain of the wood on front wheel, I did the same as the top too.

*Copper smoke stack, each will have an O-ring at base to serve as a bezel. Super glued in place. Smoke stack will be painted inside a sooty gray/black.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #156 ·

Today I am cutting/slicing the solid copper bullet that will be the front portion of the long side trim.

This is what is called FULL HARD COPPER, so it cuts slow on my 60 year old band saw. It has a gear reduction, so can cut both wood and metal. It has been a great piece of machinery.

Copper gets hot, wants to squeeze the blade, so in water to cool.

Still have to slice another approx. 1", then cut off stock.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #158 ·

Slow process turning, and cutting the bullet free, but it's finished, only to sand, buff/polish on my floor buffer, and clear coat.

I'm happy, may paint a thin stripe near the joint, color not determined. The bullet end is super glued in place, probably going to use double stick high-tac tape to hold in place.

I am very close to calling this Locomotive, FINISHED. I said from the beginning, it was/is a straight forward build, but maybe a tad more than that, Lol. It ain't/wasn't a weekend project, I'm quite sure I have 350-400 hours in it, but ALL FUN, another learning experience, for sure.

Final pictures in a few days,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #159 ·

These pictures will wrap up this thread:

I have a couple details to address, right side trim to be mounted, smoke stacks to be darkened, but the Locomotive/Trestle is FINISHED.

Thanks for viewing,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

141 - 160 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.