Woodworking Talk banner
121 - 140 of 163 Posts
Discussion starter · #121 ·
Building now, GOOGLE locomotive.

After 4 long days on my hands and knees laying tile in a condo, tonight I found time to ENJOY, so worked on the Locomotive.

I cut the slots for the 'E' slats, did such on the table saw.

Then sliced some walnut to 1/16"+ for the slats.

I rounded the outside edges too.

Now all I need to make is the 'G' curl, and the long side trim.

STILL having fun,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #122 ·

Well, I'm in the sanding WATCO OIL stage. I have all the parts sanded/coated, and will soon do the main body. May post some pic's this weekend.

Changing the subject a tad, may I inject where my HANDLE (Smith Brother) came from. I've had a few ask.

For a reason I won't discuss here, my brother and I were in the same class in HS.

(Smith Brother's) cough drops were very popular at the time, so since we were together all the time other kids started calling each one of us "SMITH BROTHER". He was TRADE, I was MARK. (Trademark) Everyone in our small town called us Smith Brother.

He fell down a flight of 19 steps in 2008, he lived a month, but died from his fall. He lived in Dallas, the day before he passed on, I was talking with him via phone, he said, "Dale you have been a good brother, I love you. The next day while in our car driving home from my brides Mother's funeral, I received a cell call that he died.

I am still known as Smith Brother, always will. May he rest in PEACE...

Dale in Indy

Discussion starter · #124 ·

Making progress, SLOWLY, SLOWLY.

1st. picture is the FLOODING of Watco oil, DARK. I allowed it to sit for 30+ minutes, wiped clean, flooded again, and sanded wet with 600, 800, & 1000. I plan on flooding again soon, and using the 1000 to wet sand. I am shooting for a mild shine.

2nd. is Locomotive on its side, and working with the design/color of the long side trim. I decided to use copper as the trim, 7/8" OD plumbing pipe, that I sliced in half length wise on my table saw, VERY CAREFUL PROCESS, buffed and polished on my floor mounted buffer. I turned the BULLET nose on my lathe, sliced it in half so as to have two pieces, one for each side. I am playing/testing colors, NOT THERE YET.

3rd. shows the tail, here I cut copper plates to make up the 'E'' slats. They will be buffed and polished toooooooooo.

Today I will test BULLET colors, and make the 'G' curl that goes above the rear DRAG SLICK.

Just having fun,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #125 ·

Here is one test I am considering for the BULLET nose. Lots of train Locomotives were called BULLET NOSE, so thinking that direction.

I am testing other colors, one is to reverse the colors of this one shown, and have it the deep maroon, with gold stripes.

STILL having fun, COMMENTS MOST WELCOME, I can't be offended.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #127 ·

Have flooded Locomotive 4-times with Watco oil dark, and getting close to small amount of shine I want.

I have ordered a solid copper round bar, 7/8" O.D. that I will turn in my lathe to the shape of a BULLET. I'm not happy with the ones I turned out of wood, and painted. I feel a solid copper piece will be best. I want the piece to be ONLY walnut, & copper.

I am changing directions on my base. I have decided on an old styled wood TRESTLE from the past. It will be appprox. 7-8" tall, and will contain RR ties, and tracks. It too will be solid walnut, but very dark in color, MAYBE......

I feel this will really give the piece the foundation it needs to really bring the project to life. As is always, COMMENTS are welcome.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Oh, what a moving account about the Smith Brothers. You still live for both as "The Smith Brothers".
And what a gorgeous locomotive! It will look Great on a trestle, and that alone will be a project of considerable work but of superior, worthy class. Still having fun following your work. Thanks for sharing the development in good detail. Ralph

Discussion starter · #129 ·

OK,,,, did some work for our church this morning, blew my leaves over the bank, did some of my in-house chores, and OFF TO THE SHOP I WENT, fun, FUN IS SOOOOOOOO GOOD!

This is a life size mock-up of 1 of the 7 supports the Trestle will need. This one is a rough cut test, so fit and finish isn't what it will be, but tells me my proportions are good, it not close.

The top board will be longer, and angle braces longer to. All boards will be drilled, and pegs inserted.

Walnut, it will be all walnut with maybe some copper right angle plates where the support uprights meet the bottom base piece.

Dale in Indy

P.S. These support pieces are 9/16" square.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #131 · (Edited)

I am making slow progress, sorry to be so slow, but have other things going on as well.

I have the vertical supports made, and oiled. Now working on a jig to align all where they belong B4 I cut, and glue the other support angle braces. I am thinking of separate slabs of thin stone to set each support piece on, and also the top frame work which includes the RR ties, and tracks. The tops look more massive than the bottoms, but with stone foundations planned, that will change.

1st. pic, is supports WITHOUT angle braces.

2nd. WITH braces.

3rd. one side with angle braces between supports. Remember the bottoms will be setting on some sort of foundation, such will give it a solid look/feel. maybe.

Thanks for looking,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #133 ·

Ok, made my jig to hold all the uprights square, plum, etc. In the picture it shows just 5 uprights, there will be 7.

I often watch TV with my bride, BEST FRIEND while working on a card table. Here I took a scrap piece of flat wood to hold the jig tabs, etc.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #134 ·

I now have the basic Trestle built, still need RR ties, and track. I will work on those tonight. The dozen of ties, and the tracks will do a nice job in separating the Locomotive from the Trestle, IMO

I also need to come up with pads for the 6 upright supports to sit on, DON'T WANT IT TO SINK IN THE GROUND, so need to spread the weight, Lol. The pads will give it a strong foundation look/feel. Right now it looks top heavy.

Tomorrow my copper solid round 1" bar will arrive via UPS, so then will make the side long BULLET trim piece.

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #137 ·

Ok, attached the RR ties today. This Trestle is 38" long, approx. 10-1/4" tall.

I will attached the base pieces on it tonight, and work on the rail design. The two rails will be walnut, WHAT ELSE, hehe, but the actual rails will be wrapped in genuine copper foil, want a bit of color contrast. Purchased it at the stained glass store where we shop. It is adhesive backed, quality material.

Today the solid copper 1" OD X 12" round bar arrived, so will be thinking how to turn it into the BULLET nose.

Most of you know that this is the GOOGLE SEARCH LOCOMOTIVE. I acquired my INSPIRATION from their 11-05-2013 logo rendering. With that in mind I have some ideas as to how I will salute such. Those ideas will be COMING SOON.

Here you can see I strung a string to use as my guide in attaching the RR ties. I also used a square, and a spacer to position correctly.

Still HAVING FUN,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #139 · (Edited)

Here it is today, WITHOUT the rails, which I have finished, without the side trim of copper, and the 'G' curl that goes above the back DRAG SLICK WHEEL, and the copper SMOKE STACKS I am making.

Trestle is 38" long. X 10-1/2" tall.

1st. picture is showing it kind of DISTORTED, bad camera angle, I 'is' NOT, a good camera guy, Lol. I selected the tail piece full of knots, and cracks, wanted to show it REAL WOOD.

Getting closer, will add a track bumper stop at the back end of the RR tracks, YOU have seen those angled pieces at the end of switching tracks, think it will add to the overall look/feel.

I'm cleaning the shop today, and back at it soon.

Thanks for viewing, I'M STILL HAVIN FUN,

Dale in Indy

Attachments

Discussion starter · #140 · (Edited)

Probably like YOU, I test nearly EVERYTHING.........

Here is my test on the RR rails/tracks. Walnut of course, cut to size on table saw, then router did the rest. I had considered copper foil on the top of the rail, but after testing, NOT going to do that, just leave natural, may clear lacquer the tops to give it a shine.

Then I took some bare house electrical wire, size 12, and cut a piece approx. 1" long, bent a 1/8" hook on one end, hammered it on one of my anvils. I drill my test wood piece, and super glued the copper spike in place gripping the rail.

I like, so that's the way I will hold the tracks in place. The hammered hook gives it a nice touch/look.

Why am I havin so much FUN? May just be that lots of NEW steps/methods of WOODFUNNING.

Dale in Indy

P.S. The rails are approx. 7/16" tall.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.