Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wifes Birthday is in ten days. A few days ago she found a picture of a bed she liked but said it was way too expensive.....$1850 expensive!!
I plan on building my version of it for under $125. I had a good start by getting my cousin to mill me a couple 6x6's for the posts...for a measly price of $8 a beam...alot better than $3.90/ft the lumber yard wanted.

Attachments

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
Sounds like you were set up. Laughing!!!!!
Considering your a woodworker,what did she expect? You to buy one? No?
That's why you'll be building her one.
Looks interesting. I think I'll pull up a seat.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
On your MARK, get SET, GO!! If I had 10 days to finish it, well, I would have to extend her BIRTHDAY! It looks like a neat project.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I like the bed design, so I'm sure I'll like your project as well. She's lucky you're able to do this.

Some say I'll have the about to bud something like that. The challenge is I don't like most of the styles my wife likes.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was able to get only a hour in the shop the other day to plane the beams....and then I lost 5 days taking care of things for other people, most importantly my father. As many of you know I lost my mom a few months ago, my father then had to have prostate surgery a few weeks ago so I'm helping him out as much as possible. I still vow to have this thing done by wednesday though.
Its a rainy day today so its a perfect time to lock myself in the shop, Ive already been out there for a few hours cutting some stock to size. Should have pics of that progress later.
Heres a few pics of how the planing turned out.

Attachments

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Man, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. My own mother is in a battle right now and in need of a liver transplant. She beat thyroid cancer. Then she beat breast cancer. Hopefully she'll beat this as well. The thought of losing her is unbearable. You have my deepest condolences.

About the bed, however, I really like the design. Considering you have a lot on your plate I'm sure your wife would be OK if it takes you a few extra days to get it done. I'll be following along and prodding you with the occasional word of encouragement. Now get busy!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Made good progress today.
First set of pics is just a little set up and pre-thought going on.lol
How did those pocket screws get in there........sorry purists there is pocket hole joinery in this one. I'm not too good at all the other joinery techniques yet.....but i'll get there.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And now after a few hours of getting everything just right we have a headboard. Not bad for four hours work.
Sorry about the dark pics. The shop produces crappy pics with the big doors closed. Maybe after this I'll have my wife buttered up enough to get better lighting in there.lol

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts