Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on trying to make the door below from MDF. It will be painted black and I need it to be 1 3/8 inch thick so match the door/frame it is replacing. I wanted to just route 2 MDF sheets but they do not make 2/3 inch thick MDF.
My next thought was sandwiching 3 sheets,
1/2 inch
3/8 inch
1/2 inch

to get the right thickness.

Any ideas on how to approach this? Thanks.

door 1.jpg

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
First if you are if you are going to use sheet goods to build the door I would use plywood rather than MDF. MDF will be so heavy you will have difficulty with the door tearing off the hinges. Personally I would make the door out of solid wood but I have a shaper and the tooling to do it. Using a router I would build the door without the coping and sticking and apply the molding to each side of the door. You might make each face out of 1/2" plywood and the center core out of 3/8" plywood. On the center core I would run the rails all the way across the door and after assembled core out the edge to accept a solid piece of wood to hinge off of.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Steve. My concern with plywood is that it is almost always warped to some degree and I don't know how nice routed edges of plywood turn out. I also know the finish of plywood isn't as smooth as I'd like.
I am finding there are quite a few door manufacturers making doors from all MDF. Are they heavy? YES. Since I don't plan on removing the doors all that much I was thinking that the weight wouldn't be too big of a deal if I can just make sure it hangs from the hinges well.

·
Registered
26,848 Posts
Thanks for the response Steve. My concern with plywood is that it is almost always warped to some degree and I don't know how nice routed edges of plywood turn out. I also know the finish of plywood isn't as smooth as I'd like.
I am finding there are quite a few door manufacturers making doors from all MDF. Are they heavy? YES. Since I don't plan on removing the doors all that much I was thinking that the weight wouldn't be too big of a deal if I can just make sure it hangs from the hinges well.
Changing the door from time to time wouldn't be a issue using MDF. What worries me about the weight is someone opening the door under normal use and have it tear off the hinges and falling on someone. If you do decide to use MDF I would recommend milling the edge of the door out and glue a strip of a soft hardwood like poplar into it on the hinge side. The edge of MDF just won't hold the hinge screws.

I wouldn't route the edges of plywood either. What I had in mind is to leave the edges square and applying solid wood molding over it. You might experience warpage even if you make the door out of solid wood. If you would use birch plywood it should paint very well. Sandeply plywood would paint alright however it would have a bit of grain to it like luan or any other mahogany.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts