Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,400 Posts
The two basic ingredients for a good bench is flat and stable. Stability can be achieved with massive weight or by securing the bench to the floor and or wall. Flat... you have a few options here offered by HD. My original bench was an old solid core door and after abusing it for 12 years, I covered it with bamboo flooring from HD. The flooring was about $60 per box and I used half the box for my 30 X 80 bench. A good sheet of their plywood can also serve as a flat surface.

The bamboo flooring is great for a workbench surface. I can glue up my projects and any glue that oozes out will not stick to the flooring's finish. I can stain and paint on the bench because these will not penetrate the finish and clean up is easy.

Of course I added a few things to my bench to make it easy to work with. It's extremely versatile and a pleasure to work with. Take a look at it if you want http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f2/versatile-small-shop-work-bench-unique-40361/

As for setting up shop and buying tools - don't buy until you need that specific tool. Try to buy good quality tools and "used" is not a bad option if the tool is in good condition and priced right! Good luck and post pictures of the shop. We love pictures...

I tend to check the "introduction" forum and haven't seen you post about yourself. Please do introduce yourself there so we can WELCOME you to our forum - the best on the web...

· Registered
1,400 Posts
Like CPS said - pt wood is wet and it will dry and it will warp and it will split...

I like Danish oil and it should be fine - but consider spar varnish. You have time to decide so look around and make a good decision you'll be happy with.

CPS - you mentioned a split top bench - if you decide that is what you want - take a look at Chris Curl's bench here on woodworking talk.com He modified the same version bench you mentioned. Look at his and link to him if you have questions. He's a nice guy and I'm sure he would be willing to help you. Here is his bench http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/swiss-army-knife-workbenches-51807/

Good luck to you both...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.