Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about making a low-cost "safe" from rebar-impregnated hardwood. The main goal is to be a deterrent: too large and heavy to move and too difficult to break into in a short span of time. I'm not concerned with fireproofing (heck, I chose wood!), but I do want it to be as strong as possible using only joinery and internal bracing. The end result will have hidden hinges, a carpeted interior, dehumidifier, hooks and rests for guns, and a couple shelves. My theoretical locking mechanism is a deadbolt on each side of the door.

Since most cabinets aren't approached from this direction, I'm hoping to get insight on the best joints for pry resistance, i.e. strong in all directions. Obviously, the top and bottom must also meet that criteria.

The thickness of the wood will be at least one inch everywhere, and I'd like to do most of the joinery with my new router. Thoughts about internal bracing are welcome too.

Looking forward to your ideas!
Devin

·
Registered
546 Posts
Remodeling contractor for 26+ years. Never saw anything made of wood I couldn't destroy in a matter of minutes with a 3lb maul and a wonder bar. I surely would not store my guns in it.

·
In History is the Future
6,423 Posts
Just Bill said:
Remodeling contractor for 26+ years. Never saw anything made of wood I couldn't destroy in a matter of minutes with a 3lb maul and a wonder bar. I surely would not store my guns in it.
Lol... My thoughts exactly, I believe the idea here would be better executed as Cman was talking about... Hidden

~tom

·
Registered
185 Posts
It might ber fun to make, but I wouldn't consider it for keeping anything of value. It would be just too easy to cut, break, or burn apart.

·
Registered
249 Posts
For my money I would just by a small metal gun locker that can be lag bolted to the floor joists and wall studs. It would still be possible to remove, but they would work harder at that I would think than they would something made out of wood. Just my 2 cents.

·
where's my table saw?
27,853 Posts

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
GeorgeC said:
I do not know what "rebar impregnated hardwood" is. Can you explain?

A little over 20 years ago I built my daughter a storage/file cabinet. It had two file drawers on the right and storage on the left.

On the bottom of the left side I built in a steel safe. This was about 1 ft. square. It was made from 3/16" cold rolled steel except for the door which was 1/4" steel. As I did not want to try to be fancy I did not use a standard safe style of lock. I used two manul security locks.

The entire unit was made from oak. As a result of the steel and oak it is very hears and hard to move. It is also burglar resistent.

It has been awhile since I inserted a picture but I will try. If th is does not work I will come back later and get it to work.

GeorgeC
That's a nice cabinet...done well. I like fixtures that fit well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, they are the same. I wasn't sure how many people checked each part of the forum. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts