Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that in the future I want to have a drill press, jointer, planer, router, router table, and a bandsaw. The real question is... Which one should I get first?

Right now I have a good router, "ok" miter saw and a decent table saw. I've got plans to buy a dust collection system sometime after January but after that... What is generally the next "major" tool purchase?

Sorry - I'm sure this question gets asked a lot. I'm just trying to figure out where to go next.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I know that in the future I want to have a drill press, jointer, planer, router, router table, and a bandsaw. The real question is... Which one should I get first?

Right now I have a good router, "ok" miter saw and a decent table saw. I've got plans to buy a dust collection system sometime after January but after that... What is generally the next "major" tool purchase?

Sorry - I'm sure this question gets asked a lot. I'm just trying to figure out where to go next.
Rob
I would say planer, jointer, orbital sanders, not neccessarily in that order. The most used tools in my shop are my tablesaw, mitersaw, planer, orbital sanders, router and router table.
A good out feed table is extremly important as well. If you have the room for a large one that is.
Mine is 4' x 8' with miter gauge slots cut into it.
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1778&stc=1&d=1197900446
Here you can see it if you look under the mantel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My motto was to buy what you need to do the next project. I like getting projects that require tools I don't have so I can justify spending the money to my wife.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just went through this so I know your pain. I found I could do a lot with a table saw (with an excellent combo blade and stacked dado set), a drill press (poor man's mortiser) and some cheap chisels (well tuned and need to be sharpened often:thumbdown:). I also used a biscuit joiner (infrequently) and a pocket screw jig (even less often).

I soon discovered that to do quality work (and use better quality wood) I needed the jointer and planer. The random orbit sander was a miracle to me as I had only a cheap sheet sander before that. I've found a dovetail saw, good measuring and marking tools to be necessary as well. (that kinda goes without saying but it's amazing how the little things add up!)

And what is this dust collection thing you speak of (cough, sneeze, cough):smile:?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
The DC is an excellent plan! :thumbsup: ("Brilliant!" ...as the Guinness inventors would say :D)

It really varies from person to person, and project to project, but I'm leaning toward Woodman's thinking.

I use a planer and jointer in conjunction with my TS on nearly every project.....at least for use with lumber (hard and soft woods). Which is basically something I learned from Norm. Neither are "essential" per se, but they help you start each project with perfectly flat, straight, and square stock, which ensures everything goes together as planned. If I could only get one, I'd start with the planer because it can be coaxed into doing some jointer tasks alot easier than the other way around, plus there several alternatives to edge jointing in a pinch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Depends on the type of work you do but personally from that list I’ld go with either the bandsaw or planer.

Still don’t have a working planer myself so I’ve learned it really is possible to live without one. (Not fun but possible) the bandsaw and drillpress were my first 2 tools so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My motto was to buy what you need to do the next project. I like getting projects that require tools I don't have so I can justify spending the money to my wife.
That's exactly what I am doing this year. it's amazing what tools I have "needed." Fortunately the LOML has supported my purchases.:thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts