Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Wishing he had a title...
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title is a bit click-bait but I am about to start building a new free standing shop. It is going to be a temporary shop. I am going to use if for less than 2 years and then it will revert to 'barn'. Storage for my boat and tractor. My final shop will be in the basement of the house we are going to build.

That said, if there is interest I will be glad to document the process and frustrations of building it. I have some ideas for storage units, clamps storage etc. to make best use of the space. It will be smaller than what I have now and alot of things I build will move to the next shop.

Let me know if you interested. A simple like would do. If not I am not going to clutter up the forum.

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a very encouraging response, :unsure: Just 4 people responded out of 100+ that viewed the post. Kind of looks like there isn't much interest??

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Not a very encouraging response, :unsure: Just 4 people responded out of 100+ that viewed the post. Kind of looks like there isn't much interest??
Actually six. As of this writing, four likes and two replies, not counting this message. The other 94 are eagerly waiting to see what happens next before they respond.

Besides, it is always helpful to document the process. You never know when you may need photos to use as a future reference for yourself, examples on WoodworkingTalk, show your grandchildren, or give a presentation at the local college or club.

P.S. I would keep an "engineering notebook" with dimensions, measurements and other technical details for future reference, too. Also keep records of where you got supplies, when you bought them, how much you paid, the brand names and model numbers, part numbers, and colors (or options) on them, etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,232 Posts
Yeah, but we really mean it. So do a lot of other lurkers, they wouldn't have clicked had they not been interested. JMHO

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Not looking for recognition or pats on the back. Just didn't want to clutter up the forum.

I will start with the history. We built our current home 17+/- years ago because it was so quite here. Not any more. Can't walk to my mailbox without watching for and usually waiting for a car to go by. Used to be I could have walked out there in my underwear, read the paper and still never see a car.

We have been looking for land for 2 year now. Yes, that hard to find here. Well, land that is private and quite.

We found a rather remote feeling 5 acres at end of a dead end private road. Just one other house on the road. VERY QUITE and can't see that changing much. Draw back is no high speed internet and there was a house... well, double wide trailer ... with a house built on too it ..... and another single wide trailer addition.... with another frame addition... then it burned and was abandon.

It was so grown up when we bought it we didn't actually know what we had bought. I spent last spring cleaning up. Several loads of trash and who knows how much brush/tree's weeds we burned. Weeks of cutting up trailer frames and hauling them out for scrap. Then my spinal tumor hit and all work came to a halt.

This year we are back at it and once cleared there was 5, yes FIVE concrete slabs there. ALL on a different level! There was so much debris on most of them small trees were growing on top! We are placing the house in different location but my wife suggested saving one of the slabs for storage building or barn. We finally settled on the old garage. 24 x 28 feet.

Just had a track hoe out and they demolished the rest of the slabs. Hauled them off and the last of the rocks and trash. I have been busy 'landscaping' around the slab to get the drainage right That brings us to the present.

My plan is to expand the slab 12 feet to give me space for a small office. I can continue to run my business out there and work on the boat too. I need to have a ramp poured on the other end. We are going to move our camper there and live in it while we build.

I need to find some photos to post and get one of the slab. We just got water and now I can get someone to pour concrete. Still pricing buildings.

·
where's my table saw?
29,190 Posts
Great location! I have a similar lot, dead end road, 3 acres, State land on two sides, land locked by water etc.
You have a great opportunity to know all the mistakes others have made IF they contribute? I will say now, Insulate, ventilate, put in enough North facing windows, have a 100 AMP power panel.

Reactions: Unfinished Projects

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
100 amp for sure. It has to provide power to the camper too.

It is a temporary shop so I have to weight some things as to their worth long term. I expect to be in this one for year, two at the outside. Then it will just become a barn. My shop will be in the basement of the house.

I will store the boat in there and keep the tractor, power washer, etc in there. Probably tear down the office since I would rather have the storage space. So I have to keep that in mind as I go. So it is a balancing act and trying to keep the cost down too.

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PHOTOS!
You have to see where I started appreciate this.

This was taken during last winter of 2019 after leaves fell off. I am standing in what I assume was a den at one time. But when I bought this the overgrowth was so thick I didn't know exactly what was in here.

Hard to tell but that is a tractor with a bucket load of.... scrap metal of some sort. Metal sink, trailer frame and misc scrap metal in the photo.

Started scoping up the mess and a slab magically appeared underneath it all.

This is after a good bit of cutting down small trees and brush. Found a fireplace and you can see the rusty trailer frame. ONE of them that is.

One of MANY loads hauled to the scrap yard. And a couple to the land fill.

Jump forward a year, to just a few weeks ago. All the slabs are gone except the old garage. The area is finally clear of 98% of the trash left behind. This is the slab I will start with to build my new shop.

It will probably be a while before I have any updates but next step is more water lines and pouring the additions to the slab.

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Just looking at the photos, have not looked at this in a long time and realized that either:
* I am just a glutton for punishment
* I have no common sense.

Just realized how many BIG projects I take on that most people would run away from. Restroing boat. Cleaning up the wreck of a properly. Restoring all my crappy looking WW machines.

Must be a screw loose somewhere!

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Man do things move slow! Had to spend some money on my old tractor and it just kept breaking things but since it is 50 years old I can't complain. But I got down and finally got most of the landscaping around the slab done.

Just for perspective this is a before I shared. The garage slab we saved is behind that big pile of brown in the photo. It was part of the one of the trailers that were built around.

Here is is a year latter. Took this yesterday after i finished up. I was standing in the roughly the same location.

Now it is time to dig some ditches and run some conduit.

I need to pull power from the (new) building up to where we are going to put our camper. I need to install a water line to the new part of the building as well as run it up the campsite. Then I can get someone out to pour the slab(s)

The slab is roughly 28' x 24' but I am going pour another 10 feet off the back and need to have a ramp built at the front too.

A couple of more photos.

·
Super Moderator
5,232 Posts
Man, what a difference a year makes, all the difference in the world. That was a lot of work though. You got a good start, can't wait to see some wood going up. As high dollar as lumber is, if I were building a shop right now, concrete blocks is the way I would go, it would be cheaper.

By the way, did you save the burl on that tree you took down from the before photo?

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No burl, just damage or maybe a broken limb? Lot of the trees were fire damaged. Honestly don't remember I have cut and burned so much but if there was a burl I would have saved it. I think that was a Paulownia tree. LOTS Of those around here.

And you are absolutely right. It has been a heck of a lot of work!!

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

A little shopping this morning. Conduit,6 gauge wire and plumbing and odds and ends. Try to get a trencher tomorrow to run these to the new slab.
Had to go to two different building supplies to get everything I needed. Supplies are low on lots of stuff.

·
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Supposed to be digging ditches and running conduit and water lines but the only place with ride on trenchers has not available. So we borrowed another tractor with a bucket and hauled off rocks instead.

Nothing is ever easy or goes as planned.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts