Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to tackle the task of building a new workbench. My old one was put together quickly and very simple when I bought a rubbermaide shed to give me a little bench to fix stuff on. As you can see it's too small, doesn't really have a top and definitely needs replacing. Since I'm low on money and have a right budget I can't make a fancy all maple bench or anything like that. So, I'm using construction wood from lowes. I'm framing it all out using 2x4's and still thinking about the top. I'll probably make that decision at Home Depot today. The dimensions are going to be 72" long, 24" deep, and 36" tall. I do plan to sand it all to keep the splinters out of my hands. I'm also going to make a shelf underneath the top to store tools. The way I'm framing it on top I'm leaving an option to add on a drawer or two later once I learn a little more about how to do that lol. Here's a pic of the old bench and pics of where I'm at so far and I'll post pics as I progress.

Attachments

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Yay, New Bench...

Do you have a drawing you are following or are you just wingin' it?

One thing I see in your first pic is it looks like you have the top of the leg flush with the top of the horizontal?

The horizontal will shrink in width as it drys and leave your leg sticking up higher than the horizontal. I would suggest holding the legs a 1/4" bellow the top of the horizontal. If it is too late, then I would saw the 1/4" off.

Lookin' good, keep the pics coming. :smile:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Furniture Table Workbench Wood Hardwood

This top was made on the cheap with 2x4s laminated together on end. Still holding up well after a year. Could use a plywood shelf or cabinets underneath but haven't had the time.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mdntrdr said:
Do you have a drawing you are following or are you just wingin' it? One thing I see in your first pic is it looks like you have the top of the leg flush with the top of the horizontal? The horizontal will shrink in width as it drys and leave your leg sticking up higher than the horizontal. I would suggest holding the legs a 1/4" bellow the top of the horizontal. If it is too late, then I would saw the 1/4" off. Lookin' good, keep the pics coming. :smile:
No drawing. I measured the air and kept all my drawings in my brain lol. Yeah I do have those flush but I haven't screwed them down yet just laid them out. Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would shrink

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mdntrdr said:
Do you have a drawing you are following or are you just wingin' it? One thing I see in your first pic is it looks like you have the top of the leg flush with the top of the horizontal? The horizontal will shrink in width as it drys and leave your leg sticking up higher than the horizontal. I would suggest holding the legs a 1/4" bellow the top of the horizontal. If it is too late, then I would saw the 1/4" off. Lookin' good, keep the pics coming. :smile:
I thought they dried their wood out at lowes and HD?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Upstate said:
This top was made on the cheap with 2x4s laminated together on end. Still holding up well after a year. Could use a plywood shelf or cabinets underneath but haven't had the time.
I like that top! It looks pretty clean! I was probably going to do something cheap and cover it with hardboard so once the hardboard gets torn up or too ugly I can change it out for 12 bucks

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
No drawing. I measured the air and kept all my drawings in my brain lol. Yeah I do have those flush but I haven't screwed them down yet just laid them out. Thanks for the advice. I didn't think it would shrink
Construction grade lumber is kiln dried to 18-19%, it will definitely shrink in width as it dries. I learned the hard way many years ago. :smile:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mdntrdr said:
Construction grade lumber is kiln dried to 18-19%, it will definitely shrink in width as it dries. I learned the hard way many years ago. :smile:
I did not know that. Thanks for the tip! Makes me glad I posted this thread :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mdntrdr said:
Construction grade lumber is kiln dried to 18-19%, it will definitely shrink in width as it dries. I learned the hard way many years ago. :smile:[/QUOTE
How long does it take to shrink?

·
where's my table saw?
29,627 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man I already have it standing up. I'll go back and double up the legs. Going to go with 3/4 mdf with 3/16 hardboard on top for my table top and mdf shelf. Saw that in a magazine and think I'll try it. If I have to change it later it won't be that difficult

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wish I could have had all you guys over here to brainstorm this with me lol. I need to make some friends near me that does this and has a little more experience to have a coach on the sideline here :)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Getting close! Got the shelf on and level. I just added a couple side braces between the legs on either side, just under the top because I was getting a little wiggle but now it is pretty sturdy. I just those braces about and 1/8 too long and used a mallet to lap them into place to make it tighter. So far so good! I'm going to add a couple long braces under the shelf to make it sturdier then put the hardboard on. Also going to add a small backsplash on the back then I should be ready to trim any overhang from the top and sand the frame. I'm also though of adding small shelfs or compartments under the top to keep sand papers and drill bits. I'm still brainstorming that and the design will be based upon what I plan to store there

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts