Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on this for a while now. 3 Veritas vises, 2 quick release & a twin screw. The bench is built with Bubinga, Hard Maple Curly Maple & some ebony accents. 3 corners have condor tails. The top alone has to weight close to 300lbs. Still have to do the stretchers though. Please enjoy.

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
That's a beautiful workbench. I'm currently using plywood on my table saw. I'd like to make a 24x60 bench this summer that I can move.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Wow Just Beautiful, I love it Bill :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, it's not finished yet but I couldn't keep it to myself any longer. I'll be building a small tool tray with a slope on either end of the recess. This thing is big too, 35" wide & around 80" long. I'll take better pics as it comes along. On the vises, I have to say, Veritas really makes awesome vises. 1/8th turn from contact to your project to it having enough grip to lift the bench by what ever you have clamped in it. My other vise at home by a reputable company, takes about 1/2 turn & I still feel flex it its grip. The QR is great too, you flip a lever to disengage the vise. A very predictable release of your project. I'll do a how to install thread later. A few more pics, please enjoy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I've wanted to build this bench for years, then I read an old article on how to make condor tails in an issue of PWW, that pushed me over the edge. I spent about a year getting all my vises & hardware together. I've had a lot of the wood & the veneer for years just waiting for this to come together. I have to say, the people at Veritas were very helpful. You can tell when talking to them, they are woodworkers & not desk jockey's. ( wish they would sell their April fools vise, that was badass) I'm out of material for now but I should have the wood for the stretchers in a week or 2. Almost done.:thumbsup:

·
where's my table saw?
32,239 Posts
another museum quality piece, Bill

You have the skill and talent that most of us aspire to and with that you create REAL WOODWORKING master pieces. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
I wood if I could.
3,976 Posts
Bill, that is one BEAUTIFUL bench! I'd almost be afraid to use it and scratch it up. Awesome work, Sir! But you always do exceptional work that many of us could only hope to aspire to. So it's of no real surprise at all. But it sure is awe inspiring, that's for sure :thumbsup:

And I assume you mean the Veritas Spider Vise? They come up with some fantastic stuff for their April fool's jokes. Like they say, they are all actual, working tools that they've created. It's a shame that only their blank tape measure (story stick) is actually produced for sale. Because some of it - like the Spider Vise - is really cool.

Again, AWESOME work on the bench!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks very much. Funny you should mention the tape measure. I bought one to have for those times that customers want to "help." I hand it to them & tell them if they can go measure something with the tape, I'll find other work for them to do. :thumbsup::laughing: I really want one of those spider vises though, it would make segmented turning a piece of cake, my rings would always be perfectly round.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I figure I'll work at or on this bench for the rest of my life, might as well make it easy on the eyes. I did spend quite a while acquiring all the goodies but it was well worth the wait. If anyone wants one like it, PM me, I'd love to build more of these. I want a reason to do more condor tails.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So Bill where do you live :blink: I need to come your bench , its just beautiful :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
Bill Wyko said:
Tucson Arizona, 30 miles from water......3 feet from hell.
LOL. Its funny to hear you say that. I've lived all over the worth & the US while I was in the Air Force and Tucson is probably my favorite. Its the one place that I have said I'd like to move back to. I'm "stuck" in SW Missouri for awhile though.

Mark

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.