Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about building a lathe for 8' - 10' poles and looking for resouces for head and tail stocks and some design ideas. Been searching the net but most lathes are shorter and no mention of head/tail stock parts.

Thanks for you comments and suggestions.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Do searches for hand built lathes, homemade lathes, wooden lathes, etc. I found a lot of info on the net but I threw out my files a few months ago. The tailstock is the harder of the parts but it's not difficult if you don't mind the adjustment being a little slow. Look at the old Craftsman mono tube lathes for a simple to build tailstock idea.
The headstock can just be a pillow block with a shaft running through it. You can either thread the end of the shaft to accept faceplates and homemade drive centers or you could make the end 5/8" with a flat to accept shopsmith accessories.
Some of the record lathes had a solid shaft so you could find accesories for those that fit a threaded shaft and wouldn't need a hollow shaft.

·
Registered
2 Posts
alot will depend on the diameter you want to turn.
a number of people have made their own bowl lathes using a couple of large pillow block bearings and some shaft material

another approach
some of the latger old metal lathes do not go for very much because most people do not want a machine that large. you might be able to pick one up for $1000 give or take

bob

·
where's my table saw?
27,892 Posts
This is on You Tube

;) bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts