Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
recently retired
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of building a new bench. This will be a large joiners bench in the shaker tradition. The bench top is a glue-up of 3 different thicknesses. The first 14"-15" is 4 3/8", the next is 2 3/4" and the last 6+" is 1". Overall size is 36"x144".

Attachments

·
recently retired
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good. Are you sure it's going to be big enough?

Initially it was going to be about 9' long and patterned after the shaker bench at Hancock Shaker Village which is 12' long. The only decent hard maple I could find in 8/4 came in 12' lengths, so here we are.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Damn that is one monster bench. Cant wait to see it finished. How did you do the square bench dogs and holes?

I wish i did live closer. I would love to see that shop and bench in person.

·
recently retired
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The square bench dogs are milled out of one of the strips of bench material. Mine are leaning toward the vice by 6 degrees. These were cut on a radial arm saw with a dado blade but you could use a router and template or a handsaw and router plane.

The Bench dogs were milled as a strip, cut to length and shaped on the bandsaw.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Lovin' it! 12' long. That's not gonna skitter on you that's for sure. I like the square dog holes. Are they going to work with the holdfasts? I like how your router is standing. lol. I can't wait to see it done and in place.

·
recently retired
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today I essembled the rough carcass and started to layout for the leg vice. The holdfasts will not go into the dog holes, there will be 4 holes for the holdfasts which are yet to be drilled. Since the holdfasts are about 18" long there are 4 bays to receive them and not interfere with the drawers.

Attachments

·
recently retired
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bench is about 90% complete. The doors & drawers are complete, the sliding deadman is on and the holdfasts are installed. The drawers have handcut dovetails, drawer slips and are veneered. The doors still need to be hung and drawer bottoms installed.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts