Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While on holiday in Burgundy, I came across this site, these guys are crazy, but fascinating. They are building a reproduction of a 13th C castle with only the tools and methods of the time.

http://www.guedelon.fr/en/

The craftsmen are encouraged to take time to talk to visitors, had long chats with the carpenter and others - fascinating, well worth a visit if you are anywhere near. They think about another 15yrs to finish it !

·
Registered
997 Posts
Dave Paine said:
I expect so, x sq ft of dungeon for every y prisoners, at least one torture chamber, ramp to allow pouring boiling oil over the battlements, etc. :laughing:
You forgot all bathrooms must drain straight into street!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, yeah, I meant do they have to meet the modern codes.
During the visit I talked at length with one of the project leaders who said the issue of standards was debated at the start and no, they dont have to meet modern codes for the building, because it is classed as a monument and so exempt. This all took place when they first applied for approval to build it. However, they do have to meet appropriate safety standards for the workforce and the visitors. for example, they use man powered squirrel cages as the power for hoists, but the ropes have to be certified for the load etc. An odd mix of ancient and modern !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts