Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I decided to try and build a better bird feeder that addressed my 3 complaints about bird feeders I have had over the years.

The complaints were;
1)Mourning doves overwhelming the feeder driving off the smaller birds and eating everything in site
2) had to be squirrel proof
3) had to address problems with precipitation, mainly the Florida rains that drench the feeder spoiling the seed by causing it to harden into a mass and even creating a fair amount of mold or mildew.

Did it with the following design elements for a simple and inexpensive solution:
a) used an 18" wrap-around squirrel baffle as the roof addressing the squirrel issue as well as providing good protection from the rain.
b) used a screen floor to provide good drainage for any rain that did get in
c) took advantage of the wide roof and a short gap from feeder base to the roof to discourage the larger birds

If I can ever figure out how to post the 4 page pdf I made on the project, I'll add it. Seems it is too big to post as an attachment, even 1 page at a time.

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
Thanks for sharing Bob, it looks great. :yes:
And Welcome to the forum too. :thumbsup:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.