Woodworking Talk banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Cabinet Maker
770 Posts
DWalls11,

Ha, that's funny you should mention the dovetails on the carcase. I actually received some strong criticism for doing that. One person said it was like I was showing off. Like you, I enjoy seeing some exposed joinery and I think most people do. Why not give people what they want?

I'm anxious to see your project develop.

Bret
Bret, I can't believe you received criticism on exposing joinery! In my opinion I will expose as much joinery as possible! Mainly because it's art, and it adds so much to the piece! Not to mention at the age of 18, all my friends when I show them, for instance my stool I'm building they just say "ohh that's cool." haha It's like they have this mindset that you can just pop a few dovetailed mortises in 1.5" thick oak as if it were play-doh! haha

Dwalls, I am REALLY looking forward to your next piece coming up the pipe! Looks gorgeous already! I loved the contrast of your buffet cabinet. and the book matched top. Beautiful! Keep the photos coming!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
So I finished shaping the front piece of crown moulding, have to wait until everyone is done with the set up to do the sides but here is a few pictures. Also I added some photos to my photo album if you want to take a peek.

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
So I finished most of the machining left on this project this week. I shaped and put the cove on the top crown moulding for the sides. I shaped and profiled the bottom moulding. Also the cock bead was milled shaped and the bullnose was profiled, but it needs to be sanded/glued to the moulding. The friction fit drawer has been dry fitted and needs to be sanded/glued up and veneer applied to the front. The shelf was glued up, shaped and cut to fit. The door stiles were morticed and the door rails had the tenons cut to fit on a single end tenoner with a jig. The groove for the door panel still needs to be done but I need to put the final layer of veneer on it which I picked up today.... Beautifully figured curly maple. Next week will be a busy week as it's Remembrance Day tomorrow so no school.

Attachments

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
I like the buffet cabinet, it's a beautiful piece...well done. Since the craftsman has his own preferences, the finished piece is a creation of his talents and how his thoughts came out for that particular piece.

Comments that joinery shouldn't be seen, or it's "showing off", may be just out of jealousy. How we, as craftsman put our visions into a material creation represents the individuality of the artistic flair. For example...with your buffet table. You saw to have a very light wood in combination with the dark. That is the way you envisioned the finished look.

I like that look. I might have done the same thing, but toned it down a bit. So, my thoughts are the way I see the contrast, which doesn't mean there is a right or wrong appearance. In essence, the creation is the artist.

I wish you all the positive energy with your endeavors. Woodworking and cabinetmaking is not an easy living trade. But it sure is a rewarding one. BTW...are you signing your work?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. This project is almost finished. The door panel was veneered with curly maple and surrounded by walnut rails and stiles. Veneer was also applied to the front of the drawer. Mouldings were cut to size and clamped together but to be clamped to the cabinet. The door and cabinet need to be notched for the hinge gain and door trimmed/hung. I need to make handles for the drawer and door and a final sand and she is ready for some daft oil. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
WOW! That table is stunning. I love the top, the wood the design...
all of it. You're on your way kid if this is a sample of your work.

Congratulations and best wishes for your future endeavors as a
professional cabinet maker.
And welcome to the forum, looking forward to seeing more of your projects.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts