Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wood Is Wonderful.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gifted a Buffalo 3/4 hp floor mounted drill press. 12 speed. Needs a little cleaning but other than that it should be good. Are there any safety mechanisms that I'm missing because it's pretty old? It's from 63 I believe.

·
Registered
26,885 Posts
I was gifted a Buffalo 3/4 hp floor mounted drill press. 12 speed. Needs a little cleaning but other than that it should be good. Are there any safety mechanisms that I'm missing because it's pretty old? It's from 63 I believe.

There is not too much safety stuff on a drill press. As long as it has the cover over the motor belt it should be complete for safety mechanisms.

·
Wood Is Wonderful.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can fire it up!

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
3/4 hp is a nice size motor for a DP. Too many are underpowered with 1/3 hp or so. Like Steve said, as long as you have the belts covered, that's about it for safety items. You could always attach the chuck key to a key ring retractor so you don't accidentally leave it in the chuck (to avoid chuck keys flying across the workshop and to keep it from getting lost). You could also put a big paddle-type OFF switch on it to make it easier to shut down if something goes wrong. Mines on the top front of the DP where I can hit it with my head if I have to.

Good luck with it!

Bill

·
Registered
470 Posts
If the table isn't conducive to clamping work to it ( and many aren't ) consider modifying it so it is. Every piece doesn't need to be clamped of course. Boring a 1/8" hole with a twist drill is much different than a 1" hole with a spade bit or a hole saw. Those that should be clamped and aren't can become dangerous. I keep 2 QUICK grip clamps there at all times.

·
Wood Is Wonderful.
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The DP came with a flat clamp that is about 5/8" high and bolts to the table. I'm thinking that will work pretty well. I also have a pile of C clamps and wood clamps too.

Where local do you guys think I can get new belts for this type of thing? Is the width standardized where I can use car belts if they fit the length? Will any machine part store have it or will I have to go to my local Craftsman/Sears, Menards, Lowes, etc?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts