Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys!

So I am deciding to take on a project and make a slab wood table out of a nice piece of Buckeye Burl. The slab is unfinished and I am having trouble figuring out the best way to go about this. Any help is appreciated and because I am new to all this could you please spell out all steps clearly, thanks!

·
Registered
27,660 Posts
You will probably want a finish that is non-yellowing. Many oil based finishes will yellow as they age. I would probably finish it with a pre-catalyzed lacquer finish. This is something that needs to be sprayed though. If you don't have the means of spraying the finish you could use a water based wipe on polyurethane.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found somewhere that suggested I use a coat of lacquer sealant and then 4 coats of gloss lacquer with a final coat of semi-gloss. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
27,660 Posts
I found somewhere that suggested I use a coat of lacquer sealant and then 4 coats of gloss lacquer with a final coat of semi-gloss. What are your thoughts?
It depends on the lacquer. Most of it on store shelves is a type called nitrocellulose. It is made from cotton fibers and is prone to yellow like varnish. The pre-catalyzed lacquer is made from acrylic resins and will remain clear. With a pre-catalyzed lacquer you use a vinyl sealer instead of lacquer sanding sealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It depends on the lacquer. Most of it on store shelves is a type called nitrocellulose. It is made from cotton fibers and is prone to yellow like varnish. The pre-catalyzed lacquer is made from acrylic resins and will remain clear. With a pre-catalyzed lacquer you use a vinyl sealer instead of lacquer sanding sealer.
OK, with that said I think I will go with your original suggestion of a wipe on poly. Would you suggest with this to apply and do a wet sand with the first coat use ~500 grit paper or do you think just wipe on. Also how many coats would you suggest and what grit should I sand to in between coats?

·
Registered
27,660 Posts
OK, with that said I think I will go with your original suggestion of a wipe on poly. Would you suggest with this to apply and do a wet sand with the first coat use ~500 grit paper or do you think just wipe on. Also how many coats would you suggest and what grit should I sand to in between coats?
Just keep in mind that wipe on finishes are watered down so a general rule is three coats equal one of the brush on. This means go very easy with sanding at first until you get enough finish on. I wouldn't even sand the first coat unless you had to.

Depending on the brand and how thick it is per coat it will probably take six coats. A better method would be to keep applying finish until the finish is about 3 mils thick which is about the thickness of a lawn and leaf trash bag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.