Woodworking Talk banner

Bucket truck build

40K views 253 replies 52 participants last post by  Kenbo 
#1 ·
Today is the day that I start my bucket truck build. Buggyman was having so much fun with his Jeep build and now, his crane build, that I just had to try it. He was nice enough to set me in the right direction for the plans (thanks Terry :thumbsup:) and I was able to find a local supplier of them. I couldn't decide which plans to buy, so I bought 6 sets of them. :blink: Then I couldn't decide what to build, so I let my wife decide. She decided on the bucket truck. I'm a little apprehensive about posting this build on here as I've never made something like this. (unless my motorcycle counts) and Buggyman makes it look so easy. He has set the bar pretty high when it comes to these builds. I'm also not sure if you guys are tired of them or not. I know that I'm not. His builds are awesome and I hope that I can do the build justice. Due to the weather here lately, I can also only get work done on the weekends, so this build will be a little on the slow side.
Heading to the shop after breakfast to start making some dust. Hold on tight guys. I think this is going to be a bumpy ride. :laughing:

#5 ·
SWEET!! I can't wait to see what is to come. Kenbo, you and Buggyman do some awsome work. I'll be glued to this one too.

Reactions: buggyman1 and Kenbo
#14 ·
That was a long day.

I've decided that for this build, I will restrain myself and my picture post mayhem and keep it to a build thread, instead of a tutorial thread. Way too many steps and way too many details to do a tutorial. Maybe on another one, but not this one. After all, I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing. :laughing: I also decided that I would use all hardwoods. Maple and walnut to start with. I spent 8 hours on the truck today and it doesn't look like much. But believe me, there was a lot of jointing, resaw and planing happening. I was also toying around with different methods of cutting these pieces. On some smaller parts, I would take dry test runs on the saw and I decided that on these pieces, the blade was a little close to the digits and a clamp would not work to hold stock to the miter fence. Double sided carpet tape became my best friend this afternoon.
I can definitely see why Buggyman loves doing these. 8 hours in, not much to show for it, but 8 solid hours of enjoyment. Figuring out how to do it, is just as much fun as doing it. I also have new glasses. I've had glasses for years but these ones are only a couple of days old and I'm not used to the new specs yet. Caused me a little bit of a problem but it was nice to be able to see the measurements on the tape measure for a change.
Either way, I digress. Here's some pictures from today. I'm really looking forward to tomorrows work day. :thumbsup:
Wood Plywood Tool

Wood Rectangle Beige Flooring

Table Furniture Wood Hardwood Plywood

Wood Table Plywood Furniture Flooring

Wood Plywood Table Scale model Furniture

#19 ·
Something else I wanted to ask.... your guys' edges are always so clean. What grit of sandpaper are you using, and are you sanding by hand or a machine?

Several of my finer details always look rough because they're simply too small to sand. Sometimes if you put them on a disc sander you either get sore fingertips OR the famous "Oh great! Now where did that fly off to? I heard it clang over here somewhere..."

#20 ·
Something else I wanted to ask.... your guys' edges are always so clean. What grit of sandpaper are you using, and are you sanding by hand or a machine?

Several of my finer details always look rough because they're simply too small to sand. Sometimes if you put them on a disc sander you either get sore fingertips OR the famous "Oh great! Now where did that fly off to? I heard it clang over here somewhere..."

I'm using 220 for the most part and sanding by hand. It takes a little more effort, but the end result is worth it. Thanks for the kind words.

I spent another 8 hours on the truck today. Started out the day with a little lathe work to turn the air filter. I mean, you can buy them already made, but why would ya? I also managed to get the seats, the door templates, the doors, the front fenders, the dash and some other small parts tweeked. I started glueing together the cab, but stopped because there is more to do inside and I'm getting ahead of myself. I had to be satisfied with a dry fits. I had a couple of mishaps when routing the doors but wasn't too upset, because I learned from the experience. Here's where we are at now.

Attachments

#25 ·
It took a little time for sure. But it was time well spent. Once I got the dimensions, it was just a matter of taking my time and turning it; checking frequently with the calipers to make sure that I wasn't overdoing it.
Thanks for looking in. :thumbsup:

#27 ·
Well, I was wondering when you might try your hand at a scale model like what Buggyman does. I don't know about everyone else, but I have waited with anticipation to see if you might.

Keep up the good work, Ken. I, for one, am in awe of your (and buggymans) abilities.

#33 · (Edited)
I am loving this and Buggyman's builds.

It is pleasing that the two of them have joined into a very sharing mentor team.

We are all the winners here. I know where my hold backs are and with these two guys, I have a new appreciation for the little things where, if you go to that little bit extra care and attention, use good quality, model specific wood, have attention to detail and finishing, the time and effort put in will be rewarded with a final outcome much superior to a " That's good enough "

My Kenworth, will have lots of flaws, but hopefully, it will be a lot better then it would have been if I was not on this forum and had the help of many on here.

I just have to take my time, rushing is my enemy, besides myself.

Thanks to all.

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.