Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Hi there,

I recently applied the final coat of polyurethane on a tabletop for a customer and wasn't happy with how it came out (lots of brush marks, way too thick application, I should have known better...) so I sanded the whole thing with an orbital sander (220 grit) and reapplied the poly.

All in all, I am happy with the results. It's nice and smooth, and all the brush marks are gone. However, I noticed there are one or two small areas that didn't take the poly well (see photos - larger photos in links below.)

Anyone know how to spot-fix a few imperfections like this in poly, or what might have cause this?

The wipe-on poly was applied this afternoon, so I'll have to wait a bit before making any moves. Thought I'd come here for some advice in the meantime. I really don't want to make it worse and my woodworking judgment tends be really off when I'm frustrated with a project.

Any advice is much appreciated!

LARGER PICS:
http://s25.postimg.org/pwkcywwf3/h_Eql_Qmo.jpg
http://s25.postimg.org/pl2wm5fz3/Reh4u2b.jpg

·
Registered
26,215 Posts
I think you just applied it too thick. When you apply any finish, apply it as thin as possible with as few brush strokes as possible. Be sure to let the poly dry real good. If you start sanding before the finish is fully hard it will peal and that's much harder to fix. I would ignore it for a couple of weeks. If you have to go ahead and use the table, just don't put any furniture polish or chemicals on it. You shouldn't have had a problem with the wipe on poly. If your regular poly is oil based you could add some penetrol to it to make it flow out better and lessen the brush marks. The penetrol slows the drying time down so the finish can flow out better. The brush you use has more to do with the success of the finish as the technique. You need a very soft brush, as soft as a woman uses to apply eye makeup. Then brush it on with as little strokes as possible. The more you brush it, the more air gets into the finish and it sets up faster.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Yeah, it appears to be applied too thick as Steve said. Wait a week or 2, sand down, and reapply in thin coats.

I suggest using a China bristle brush if brushing the poly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts