Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stripped a table that sat in the south sun for many years, it had faded drastically. Stain soaked in evenly and all look good. Applied varithane on the piece and all looked well after application but hours later multiple bubbles formed. I scratched finish and reapplied coat. Again once finished looked good but hours later bubbles again. I did this repeatedly (even changed cans of varithane). No success, resulted in stripping piece again. During stripping wood fibres started to come off in patches (once looking it was in the places that most of the bubbles formed). What is happening and what can I do to condition the wood so it will not bubble. I am going to have to do a major sand to get some of the missing fibre marks removed but do not want to strip again. Again this piece sat in south window for atleast 50 years.

·
The Nut in the Cellar
1,095 Posts
What did you strip the piece with? Most strippers require neutralization after use. I always thoroughly rinse the piece after using stripper. Also, what is the species of wood?

·
Registered
26,313 Posts
I stripped a table that sat in the south sun for many years, it had faded drastically. Stain soaked in evenly and all look good. Applied varithane on the piece and all looked well after application but hours later multiple bubbles formed. I scratched finish and reapplied coat. Again once finished looked good but hours later bubbles again. I did this repeatedly (even changed cans of varithane). No success, resulted in stripping piece again. During stripping wood fibres started to come off in patches (once looking it was in the places that most of the bubbles formed). What is happening and what can I do to condition the wood so it will not bubble. I am going to have to do a major sand to get some of the missing fibre marks removed but do not want to strip again. Again this piece sat in south window for atleast 50 years.
Something is going on to cause bubbles. At first I was thinking a chemical reaction with the stain but you had bubbles with the second coat. If you are applying the finish with a brush you may be brushing the finish too aggressively creating bubbles or maybe stirred it too aggressively. You just may be applying too thick of a coat of finish. When you brush a finish you should apply the finish as thin as you can with as few strokes as possible. It may be the finish is old and thick and needs a little thinner. You may have just bought it but you don't know if it sat on the store shelf for years or not.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts