Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I am New at the forum, I love woodworking and am glad to be here with all of you. I have learned a lot about building guitars and mandolins from My Pal Al, who recently just passed at 90 years old. He was very talented and made all sorts of things, He was an artist by trade and graduated from Pratt in 1939. He was building guitars and mandolins till the day he died, from a Brain stroke. I have my own workshop and wonder if anyone is from my area. I am hoping to meet people in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, or nearby. I am also into renovating and remodeling, as well as all sorts of woodworking and craftwork. Look forward to talking to all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Big Dave,
I checked your link, nice stuff! Wish you were in my neck of the woods, haha.. looking forward to meeting all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for welcoming me, I would be a kid in a candy store if i were at powdercreek sawmill, where exactly are you located?

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Welcome WP, make sure to check out the "gallery" on this site. There are some pretty cool photos there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
WP - My shop is on third ave in the 40's ( sort of sunset park) we do millwork refinishing and restoration. Have you done any of that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, been very busy. I really am not sure what millwork is, but I din't think I have done that I guess I would know, huh!. its sounds heavy, lol.. I have done restoration and refinishing, and also some repair work as well,
I am not far from you really 69th st. above 5th,
I would love to stop by some time if my schedule permits, What is your name, in case I am able to stop by, natch I would call first. My name is Susan. ( yup, Female)...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never judge a person by their screen Name

:thumbsup: And never judge a persons ability because of the sex that they are, or what they look like! I had a feeling , my being female would get some sort of comment, Big Dave you are Funny.:laughing:

Hey I actually have done roofing, shingling, installing doors. windows, sheetrock, Painting, plastering, taping, sanding wood floors, french polishing ( guitars), tiling floors ( Just finished a 22x12.5 liv/din room plus the foyer and 15x 4 Hallway in my home) I 'm 120 lbs,
But no weakling :boxing: Haa har

I am not so bad on the eyes either I also have done plumbing and electric , not so bad for a girl, huh? And one other thing, I am straight (not gay) 100% female, So, I am quite capable and I have done all of that in addition to making classical guitars and mandolines, Not to shabby, huh?
Big Dave, I love your work.:thumbsup:
And "Eastend" you do incridible work as well, gorgeous,,,, :yes: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Thanks Woodpecker. I wasn't implying anything at all. I believe that if a woman puts her mind to it she can accomplish anything. Women tend to be better because they try harder to prove themselves.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Women tend to be better because they try harder to prove themselves.
That is a another way of saying "More stubborn" :laughing:, stubborness is not a fault if you keep at it till you are good. I am married to a woman much like yourself, pretty darn good helper (and sometimes boss)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hey Woodpecker,

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've done a lot of sawdust making....Now we gotta get you to get a sawmill and you'll be all set. Then you can saw all your material too.

I hope you put some pictures in your galley.....:yes: :yes:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys amaze me, really!

Hi Guys,
You guys blow me away with your work, I checked out your galleries.
all I can say is WOW, I am truly amazed....you guys are fantastic!
I spent 3 hours reading and checking out your stuff, Just facinating!
I wish I could hang out with each and every one of you. I love wood so much and to see what you guys do, is truly a gift. I feel like I spent a day in a wood wonderland. I really enjoyed every minute, Thank you for sharing your incridible work with me and the rest of us here.
I am so very impressed, and can't believe how talented you all are.
I am sure I would be in my glory in a sawmill.:yes: and yes I have made plenty of saw dust. I save some of it when sawing or sanding as it is useful to use if you need to fill a crack or chip, in the same wood.
(I mix it with carpenters glue to fill in areas that need it, if necessary for repair) I label a clear jar insert sawdust and save. I can see what I have whether it is Spruce, Rosewood, Maple, Mahogony, or whatever.I find it is always good to save some, to have on hand just in case. Do you guys do that? and yes I save shavings as well, ya never know,lol.

I enjoyed seeing all the different kinds of wood, and all the miraculous work you guys do. Thanks

I am looking forward to sharing some photos with you guys of my work with my Pal Al. My main computer hard drive is in Florida, and most of my stuff is stored there, However I will try to scan some photos into this computer. But it won't be right away...Hopefully soon though...
You guys are truly blessed and amazingly gifted, I melt when I look through you galleries, God has blessed all of you... you rule:thumbsup:

I feel lucky just knowing you guys,(even though its online)
I am glad I found all of you and this site... You guys amaze me!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts