Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I was wondering if I could put BRIWAX over Boiled Linseed Oil. I have a piece of 2x4 reclaimed American Oak, I think white, that I made into a Pots and Pan rack for my kitchen. I put two coats of BLO and love the look, but it needs "something else", and I was wondering if Briwax would give my what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a nice satin finish.

What are my options?

Kind regards,
Brett

·
Registered
26,983 Posts
The wood looks more like red oak to me. You can put Bri-wax over linseed oil but I wouldn't recommend it for use in the kitchen. Briwax is bad to water spot and with normal kitchen cleaning I think you will have problems with the finish. I think you would have better luck putting tung oil over the linseed oil. Tung oil is waterproof.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Tung Oil it is. Thank you. :thumbsup:

The wood looks more like red oak to me. You can put Bri-wax over linseed oil but I wouldn't recommend it for use in the kitchen. Briwax is bad to water spot and with normal kitchen cleaning I think you will have problems with the finish. I think you would have better luck putting tung oil over the linseed oil. Tung oil is waterproof.

·
Old School
24,017 Posts
Hello All,

I was wondering if I could put BRIWAX over Boiled Linseed Oil. I have a piece of 2x4 reclaimed American Oak, I think white, that I made into a Pots and Pan rack for my kitchen. I put two coats of BLO and love the look, but it needs "something else", and I was wondering if Briwax would give my what I was looking for.

I'm looking for a nice satin finish.

What are my options?

Kind regards,
Brett

I would not use wax over the BLO. I would let the BLO cure, and use a satin oil base interior varnish, or a satin oil base polyurethane. IMO, either of those would offer more durability than wax or another oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts