Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sawing against the Wind
2,402 Posts
Nice....and they got places for the CHEEKS !!!! LOL Cherry amazing in it's natural form....I've seen it from deep red to the brown tint as your pics show.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tennessee Tim said:
Nice....and they got places for the CHEEKS !!!! LOL Cherry amazing in it's natural form....I've seen it from deep red to the brown tint as your pics show.
I have an aging process that allows me to perfectly match new pieces with pieces of any age.

Thanks

Al

Friends don't let friends use stamped metal tools sold at clothing stores.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Cherry has a habit of turning darker as it ages. I own a jewelry box that my Gradda made for me when I was 10 and its gone from being a light brownish color to being almost black after all these years.

Those stools are amazing! I'm loving the grain. They almost look book matched. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Sorry but I don't think that I'm up to balancing my sorry old butt on a barstool, first thing in the morning.

Thinking 'cheek-to-cheek', they look really comfortable.

What sorts of trick tools did you use for shaping the tops?
I can see some of that shallow curved profile in a couple of WIP wood carving plans for this winter.

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
johnnie52 said:
Cherry has a habit of turning darker as it ages. I own a jewelry box that my Gradda made for me when I was 10 and its gone from being a light brownish color to being almost black after all these years.

Those stools are amazing! I'm loving the grain. They almost look book matched. :thumbsup:
Thanks Johnny. The seats are from the same piece of wood. I was saving it because I hated to cut it into smaller boards.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sanchez said:
Very nice stools. Like everybody else, I love the matched grain.
Thanks for your response.
I lucked into the grain being so outstanding. But more importantly I used a method to stain without stain that does not muddy up the wood like pigment stain. Also it's finished without pollycrapaline. Which is really the best way to bring out the grain.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cps said:
Did you use your Lye aging technique? Out of curiosity, have you tired in on pine?
I did use the lye treatment. I haven't tried it on pine but I have tried it on other wood. It has no effect on anything I've tried. If you have ever seen that super white sap wood on cherry, it doesn't age that either but a strong solution will yellow it a bit.

Al

·
Wood Snob
5,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Robson Valley said:
Sorry but I don't think that I'm up to balancing my sorry old butt on a barstool, first thing in the morning.

Thinking 'cheek-to-cheek', they look really comfortable.

What sorts of trick tools did you use for shaping the tops?
I can see some of that shallow curved profile in a couple of WIP wood carving plans for this winter.
Im not one to tip my hat much or showcase my furniture but since you asked.

The first pic shows the start of hogging out the bulk. Set the dado on the TS. Hot glue a wedge on the side and one on the top. This makes your cuts deeper on the back than the front and the wedge on the side runs on the fence to cut at an angle. It really was easy to stop and move the fence and cut until I was across half way. Then just do the same to the other side. The whole phase took less than 15 minutes.
Wood Floor Table Hardwood Flooring

The second pick is the finished hog out. After that I used an angle grinder with one of those sanding disks made by ShopSmith. 40 grit. Not the metal type. Lowes sells them. This worked fantastic. Quick work resulted in a mountain of dust on everything. Then I used some shaping tools and cabinet scrapers. Lastly I sanded with my ROS. Kinda messed up the pad but their cheap. I don't advise using the ROS unless you are about to replace the pad or you won't be sanding flat objects with it any more. It ever so slightly curled the outside edge.

Al

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.